TEF Holds Its 19th Annual 5K

TEF Holds Its 19th Annual 5K

Yuhung LeeSheng, Freelance Writer

On June 4th the town held its 19th annual TEF Tenafly 5K Run and Dog Walk, a fundraising event for the Tenafly Education Foundation featuring over a thousand runners in multiple races.

The Joint offered free massages to runners

The purpose of the annual event is to raise funds for the nonprofit organization, which funds teacher-initiated programs in the town’s seven schools. Several companies, including Honda of Tenafly, BMW of Tenafly, The Joint, TD Bank, and Englewood Hospital, sponsored the event and offered give-aways to participants. The high school’s TEF Club and Key Club contributed by setting up tables and offering face-painting to children of all ages.

This year’s run was highly successful. According to Mark and Judy Aronson, spokesmen for the TEF, the event raised $35,000. Nine-hundred and seventy-eight runners ran the 5k race, while 155 runners ran alongside their dogs in the 5k Dog Walk. Other highlights included a one-mile fun run, a dog parade, and tiger cub races.

Katherine Sung and Ah Young Shin from Key Club

The 5K encourages fitness for Tenafly residents of all ages and offers a chance for the runners of today to interact with the runners of tomorrow. “The 5K is a great way to end the track season with the team, racing,” said Kevin Kim, a junior, who finished first in his age group and thirteenth overall. Will Hawkins, a sophomore who finished second in his age group and fourteenth overall, agreed. “For runners on the track team, it’s a fun way to end the season and transition into summer training for cross country,” he said. “And after the race, the cross-country team always runs with the younger kids in the Fun Run.” Ines Greenway, a junior who finished first in her age group, prefers to use her running time as a base to begin her summer training. “I also think the 5K is a great way for the town to get together and have fun,” she said.

Next year’s 5K will be held on Sunday, June 3rd.