Categories:

Administration Moves Vending Machines, Sparking Puzzlement

Have you been wandering the halls, only to find the vending machines aren’t where they used to be? On September 5th, the school administration made the unexpected decision to relocate them to the senior hallway, a move that has left students puzzled and curious, with many wondering what prompted this sudden change. 

“When I walked over to get water on the morning of the move, I was shocked,” Orli Rosenstein (’26) said, “I honestly couldn’t believe it when I saw that the vending machines were not in their usual spot.” 

The vending machines, a reliable source of snacks and drinks between classes and after school, have always been a popular stop for students rushing by to grab a quick bite. Positioned near the principal’s office, the machines were easily accessible, strategically placed for those in need of a pick-me-up during a busy school day. Now, while the vending machines are still available, their new location is seen by many as inconvenient and out of the way. 

The door by the new location of the vending machines is an exit that will get very crowded during times of the day like lunch,” Paulina Quiros-Keller (’26) said. “People like to sit in that area, and that is the way the majority of the juniors and seniors go to get to the lot. The previous location of the vending machines was an area that the students at Tenafly grew to love so much, and I personally was devastated to find my favorite place during the school day now in a completely different and inconvenient location.” 

Many students have voiced their opinions on the migration of the vending machines. This prompted Mr. Morrison, our principal, to offer some insight on the administration’s decision. 

“Aesthetically, for years I didn’t like the look of the vending machines. Even though it is not our main entrance for visitors, many visitors come through there,” Morrison said. “For example, if you come to watch a wrestling match, basketball game, or volleyball match, that’s your first introduction to what Tenafly High School is. And to have two vending machines there is just not a great impression of our school. That lobby is also aesthetically very pleasing. We’ve got our trophy case and the tile mosaic of the tiger. It’s all very nice, except for those machines.” 

In addition to the administration’s hope that relocating the vending machine will make the lobby more visually appealing, they also believe it will enhance security, according to both of the principal’s secretaries, Ms. Hawkins and Ms. Tavares. 

Although the vending machines have been moved, the quality of the snacks remains the same. If you’re in the mood for a little sweet treat, you’ll still find the vending machines stocked with your favorites, just not by the principal’s office anymore. They are now tucked away in the senior hallway, nestled in a corner for a more discreet experience.