Shifting: Harry Potter Craze Becomes a Reality

Jacqueline Kim, Staff Writer

TikTok user Natalie Baker, @hpsrs, has gained an immense amount of followings and attention for her videos about reality shifting. Since October 4th, the release of her first video, audiences have followed along with her “shifting” journey, as she has accounted attempt after attempt until finally, her most popular video, amassing over 1.8 million views and 574.7k likes, shared her first successful shift. Since then, she has continued to share her shifting experiences, along with her own tips and critiques.

The furor around shifting has emerged from the recent resurgence of Harry Potter popularity, causing many to obsess over familiar characters from their childhoods who have taken on whole new personas in the light of the media. Not only has Draco Malfoy become a recent popular figure of interest, portrayed as more than just Harry Potter’s “arch-nemesis” but a good person at heart, with a soft spot for Slytherin TikTok girls, but many have created their own fantasies in which they’re a part of the action themselves. The mania has taken over the lives of many, and now, wishful thinking and TikTok POVs (point of views) are no longer enough. 

Although the notion of “reality shifting” is nothing new, the concept has recently resurfaced over the Internet, particularly over TikTok, following the Harry Potter craze. Individuals have found what appears to be a means to take part in the action of fighting dark lords, enjoying butter beer, and roaming the magical wizarding school known as Hogwarts. Users share “shifting” methods, tips, and experiences with their audiences, kindling the interests of many. “Reality shifting” is a form of meditation similar to lucid dreaming, through which people envision themselves in an alternate reality, known as their “desired reality” (DR). Although similar, lucid dreaming and reality shifting are incredibly different, according to shifters. While in lucid dreaming, dreamers merely become aware of their unconscious state and are able to control their dreams, reality shifting is considered as transiting the subconscious minds from their current realities (CR) to their desired realities (DR). These DRs may be fictional worlds or magical realms from movies, TV shows, or book series, such as the Harry Potter world. During shifting, individuals have an even greater hyper-awareness to the happenings of their subconscious mind that aligns them to another dimensional universe. “Shifting is moving your consciousness from one reality to another reality,” explains a video by TikTok user @beashifting. Through various means of reality shifting, teens are shifting to Hogwarts in order to truly become a part of the magical wizarding world. 

Shifting incorporates meditation, positive affirmations, and subliminal music playlists to guide individuals into their desired realities. Many even go as far as writing detailed “scripts” that incorporate essentials of their hopes for their experience, or additional details telling of who they are. While they are not necessary, many practice in recording these features in order to structure their shifts, and ease the transition between their CRs to their DRs. Scripts may include character relationships, events within DRs, or personality descriptions, so for you Draco Malfoy fanatics, this is where you would detail your love-storylines! 

There are multiple popular approaches that teens have experimented with, which supposedly commence the start of the shifting process. Geek Trippers elaborates on the process, while detailing the many popular methods of shifting, including the following:

1. Raven Method: begin by laying in a “starfish” configuration. Then, count up or count down from a large number, repeating affirmations or playing subliminals within the process.
  2. Alice and Wonderland Method: imagine yourself chasing a figure or image from your desired reality, down the rabbit hole to your DR. There, you will find the “key” to unlocking the passage to your DR.
  3. Pillow Method: begin by writing down aspects of your DR in the form of affirmations. Then, repeat these affirmations before falling asleep, with the slip under your pillow.
  4. Elevator Method: conceptualize yourself going up in an elevator, with energy intensity increasing with every level. The doors will then open to the entrance to your DR.

Beyond just the realm of social media, the concept of reality shifting had intrigued Tenafly High School students as well, with some experimenting with the prospects of shifting. “I have attempted to shift, but I haven’t been able to successfully do so yet,” Bina Lee (’20) said. “I’ve been interested in (shifting) because I want to meet my favorite characters from my favorite shows/movies, and escape from my current reality. I haven’t been successful in fully shifting but I have come close sometimes. The more you doubt it and the more discouraged you are, I’ve heard, the less likely you will be at successfully shifting… From what I know, it’s all about how strong your intention is and how much you believe in shifting.”

Yet the controversy continues as many question the legitimacy of reality shifting and hopping dimensions. “I personally don’t believe shifting is real,” Karis Cho (’23) said. “I think dreams are very intriguing themselves, but anything that goes past the realm of the psychology of it sounds fictional. But, you never know though; I personally have never met someone who has successfully shifted.”

However, with the inputs of thousands across social media, the once abstract concept seems more and more viable and accessible. Whether the practice can truly transit the mind to another coexisting dimension or act as a stimulation of the imagination, individuals are offered what appears to be a quick, idealistic “getaway.” And, for some, the notion of an eventful evening with the golden trio, or tea at Hagrid’s hut, or a head-to-head game of quidditch has become a near reality.