Types of Track Runners at Practice

A track runner gets ready to sprint. (Non-copyright license via Freerange Stock)

In the realm of Track & Field, there are many types of runners that can be witnessed at the track. From sprinters launching off their starting blocks to long-distance athletes painfully enduring through miles, each runner tends to be different from one another. Here are some common types of runners that you may find on the track:

The Lane 1 Hogger: Before a workout or race, this runner will, by default, take the first lane of the track. Even in the midst of running, they gradually slide into the first lane, forcing the runner already in the lane to move over to another lane or else they will crash, or “run into traffic,” as runners like to call it. This runner is often a very fast and experienced Varsity runner; if not, they really hold the entire group behind. If you take the first lane during reps, make sure you can keep up with the pace!

The Leaders: Everyone looks to this runner in the team: the other runners, the coaches, and even the parents. These runners lead the reps, set impressive PRs, and are an indispensable part of the team. They are not just admired for their athletic abilities, but also for their enduring work ethic and generous personality. 

The Strava Runner: Before anything else, this runner is simply all about clout and getting kudos after posting their recorded run onto Strava, an exercise app that also incorporates social media features. This runner often has the highest number of followers among all the Strava users on the team and connects with runners from other schools and track teams. This runner is also likely to be the only Strava Premium user on the team, eager to get access to all of Strava’s “exclusive features.” Every second moment, whether it be right before or after a run, you are likely to find these runners on Strava hovering over their last run while scanning for kudos or checking out someone else’s run. It’s clear that this runner spends more time on Strava than actually running!

The Long-Run Chatter: In track, long runs range from 7-15 miles and are mainly taken up by the distance runners of the team. These runs can take from 45 minutes all the way up to three hours—a perfect amount of time for extended yap sessions from the talkative members of the distance team. Long runs can be extremely grueling and energy-consuming, especially if performed in inclement weather such as rain, scorching heat, or inches of snow on the ground. The last thing that people want to hear while running is someone talking nonsense about school-related topics or something completely unrelated to the subject being discussed at that moment. At times, these chatterboxes can be extremely unpleasant to run with, and other runners sometimes do their long runs at different times to avoid running with them.

The All-Rounder: There aren’t a lot of runners on the track team that fit the qualities that this runner has. Simply put, this runner excels in all aspects of distances – from the quickest sprints that take a mere few seconds to never-ending long runs, spanning hours at a stretch. These runners are often the hardest workers on the team, dipping their feet in the distance team’s religious grueling runs while also joining the sprinters in their short, swift workouts. The All-Rounder is often a mid-distance runner but is capable of taking on all aspects of track races.

The Last Rep Racer: Since the last couple of runners mentioned are usually long-distance runners, let’s not leave out the sprinters in practice. Whether the assigned workout is 6x200m, 5x400m, or another variation, there is always that one runner who treats the last rep like it’s a State Championship race. These runners tend to stay at the back during the first few reps to save their energy and proceed to sprint the last rep at full pace. Sometimes they might beat the Varsity runners at the front and celebrate their accomplishment with their friends. But it becomes embarrassing if they fall behind even after taking it easy on the first reps. Thus, their strategy can  either lead to a boost of ego for them or just pure humiliation. 

The Rep Skipper: While the runner mentioned earlier tends to find the final rep as a race, this runner sets their own plans during practice and does fewer reps than the rest of the group. While the rest of the group gives their all to complete the assigned workout, these runners make the most miraculous decision to skip a rep instead of doing the full workout. “What? I counted six [reps]!” If you hear something along those lines during practice, it’s most likely these runners. On other occasions, they rush to the bathroom or the locker room to “get a sip of water.” They think they’re slick, but they’re really not. 

The Warm-Up Competitor: Every practice in track starts with a light jog of two laps around the track, or roughly 800m. However, similar to the “Last Rep Racer,” the Warm-Up Competitor thinks of the warm-up lap as a race. They are the ones that are unable to hide the slight smirk on their faces as they pass by the Varsity runners jogging ahead of them. Truth be told, all runners have done this once as a freshman. 

Are any of these runners you or your friends? Although they—or you— may not want to admit it, it’s definitely possible.