NJ Rolls Out Post-Lockdown Assessment, Implements New Graduation Requirement

Junhyoung (Edward) Kim, Staff Writer

Last month, New Jersey’s Department of Education implemented new graduation requirements for high schools in the state. There are different requirements for the class of 2022 and the class of 2023-2025. At first, many students thought the Start Strong Testing was due to the graduation requirements, but interestingly, they are completely separate assessments. 

Start Strong Assessments, announced on July 28th, 2021, were implemented to assess students so that they aren’t falling behind in school. Due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic, some were concerned with the fact that virtual learning wasn’t able to provide the full learning experience. Hence the name. Based on the results, if there is an oddity in a student’s score, administrators would be able to provide the necessary support. In Tenafly, three days were scheduled early this month for the Start Strong Assessments.

In a separate state action, the graduation requirements have recently changed for the state of New Jersey. The Department of Education explains that there are different ways that students can demonstrate their proficiencies, and they call these methods “pathways.”

Class of 2022

In English Language Arts (ELA)

1. NJSLA/PARCC ELA 10
  2. Meeting cut scores on other high school-level NJSLA/PARCC tests, the SAT, ACT, or ACCUPLACER (*table shown below)
  3. Submitting, through the district, a student portfolio appeal to the New Jersey Department of Education. 

In Mathematics

1. NJSLA/PARCC Algebra I
  2. Meeting cut scores on other high school-level NJSLA/PARCC tests, the SAT, ACT, or ACCUPLACER

Class of 2023-2025

In English Language Arts (ELA)

• If, after completing the New Jersey Graduation Proficiency Assessment in grade 11, weren’t able to demonstrate proficiency in the ELA component, such students may access the following pathways:

Pathway 2: Meeting cut scores in other proficiency tests

Pathway 3: Submitting, through the district, a student portfolio appeal to the New Jersey Department of Education. 

In Mathematics

• If, after completing the New Jersey Graduation Proficiency Assessment in grade 11, weren’t able to demonstrate proficiency in the mathematics component, such students may access the following pathways: