College Culture: How Tenafly High School Feeds the Stigma

“I heard she’s going to Yale”

Credit%3A+Pixabay

Credit: Pixabay

Hanna Brick and Sonal Sharma

Tenafly High School. Where admitting an 80% on a history test induces mental breakdowns and premature midlife crises. Where lunch is substituted with stressful studying in the Study Den. Sure, we have a competitive spirit that propels our academic excellence. But at what cost? Freshmen fret over acceptance rates while seniors succumb to ennui and burnout. Yale, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Cornell, and UPenn are just some of the distinguished institutions Tenafly students aim for. According to the Tenafly High School Report on Graduates Class of 2020, in 2016, there were an astonishing 22 students accepted into Ivies, followed 28 students who were accepted into noteworthy colleges in 2017.

It’s no secret that Tenafly sends many students to reputable universities; Tenafly is blessed with an incredibly gifted group of students. But is this ambitious attitude damaging the livelihood of some students? It starts freshman year, where students cherry-pick classes that colleges might look favorably upon rather than prioritizing their own interests. Everything from clubs to sports is carefully curated to illustrate an image that students want to convey to colleges. The constant need for academic success overwhelms students with anxiety and pressure. Tenafly students only talk about getting into top universities, and attending a community or state college is considered taboo. 

The mention of CPA classes raises questionable glances and low test scores prompt piteous stares. This unattainable definition of success has trampled the true excellence of countless Tenafly students, whose redeeming qualities might not be revealed in a test or project. This sort of all-or-none attitude when it comes to college is incredibly detrimental to the personal growth of students. Education isn’t linear, yet the public school system has tried to trivialize it into repetitive curriculums and meaningless formulas. Although education is important, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t earn the letter grade of your choice or end up at a school that is largely funded by Sheikhs or Wall Street trust funds. We personally feel that college culture has skewed the entire significance of education. 

There have been a multitude of brilliant people who’ve attended colleges that are not necessarily “esteemed” (according to Tenafly). Tom Hanks went to Chabot Community College, while Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood both went to Los Angeles City College. And this is just a couple of prominent people who went to colleges that aren’t ranked the top 15 in the world. The college you attend doesn’t determine your success. However, this false pretense has weeded its way into the minds of Tenafly students. Partially, because we’ve grown up in an environment that preaches that if the university is not the best, it’s insubstantial. 

Credit: Pixabay

It’s really toxic in that sense but also it’s a matter of understanding that wherever you end up, you’re the only one who can do anything, [even] if you end up in an Ivy or in a community college but it is what you and the effort you put in for your future, so in the end, it shouldn’t matter but it is easy to compare yourself.

— Grace Lee '22

We asked some our peers about their opinions on the stigma surrounding college and here’s what they said. “I think that a lot of people believe that Ivies are the standard of Tenafly but the reality is that a lot of people are just, that pressure is put on them by their parents and then within the actual school and like within the grade, it’s more of a pressure to go to like, the socially accepted schools like party schools and more popular schools, I think,” high school senior Arden Segaloff said. Maybe that a lot of people went to in past graduating classes but maybe not as much ivies but I think that for kids that are in more like…seven AP classes every year…there is a very high expectation.” Another senior, Josh Kim, refutes the presence of “college culture” in Tenafly: “I guess it could be worse. It’s actually not that bad. I mean, people always keep their ED’s [Early Decision] secret, but aside from that, no one’s really trying to hang each other over their college choices really. It’s more so kinda like secretly competitive, not like [other schools] where people are trying to choke-slam each other. Everyone secretly does well like, people you don’t expect to get to great colleges…It’s not like it’s a good thing, but it could be worse.” However, Senior Grace Hylee gives some positive affirmations that apply not only to seniors, but to the entirety of Tenafly High School: “It’s really toxic in that sense but also it’s a matter of understanding that wherever you end up, you’re the only one who can do anything, [even] if you end up in an Ivy or in a community college but it is what you and the effort you put in for your future, so in the end, it shouldn’t matter but it is easy to compare yourself. So, I get that but I think it proves that at the end [going to a reputable college] doesn’t matter.” 

Stressing over grades and college admissions is normal, however it shouldn’t overburden every aspect of your identity. It doesn’t matter which college you attend. If you use your education wisely and are truly passionate about your aspirations, you’ll flourish no matter where you go. Take a step back and realize how far you’ve come! Don’t worry. You’re doing great.