Tenafly’s Trash-A-Thon to Be Held on May 7th

Joie Evar, Staff Writer

As Earth Day approaches, so does Tenafly’s Trash-A-Thon. The event, a combined effort of the Tenafly High School Green Team and the Tenafly Environmental Commission, will take place on May 7th. After last year’s successful turnout,  the event is bound to be a success. If you are interested in participating, or if you are curious about the significance of Earth Day itself, read on to find out more.

The first Earth Day was celebrated in April of 1970, and according to EPA History, it was created to help spread awareness and promote acts to conserve the environment. Our country had yet to develop an EPA, or a Clean Air Act or Clean Water Act, so designating a day to promote the preservation of the planet was significant at the time. Of course, we have come a long way since then, but the continued threats to our planet still remains unsolved, and the clock continues to tick. This year it is vital that we all do our part to help.

The Trash-A-Thon is one of Tenafly’s many ways of not only celebrating Earth Day but also of providing an accessible opportunity for its town members. The event is open to all volunteers. More importantly, the event is run by many THS students, such as  Green Team Presidents Abby Kushman (’23) and Kira Fleischer (’23), alongside myself, the Vice President of the club. “I’m super excited for the Trash-A-Thon this year,” Kushman said. “Cleaning up the community is such a rewarding experience, and I hope we get a lot of student involvement.”  

The Tenakill Brook cleanup

The Green Team has been waiting patiently for the big day to come. Most recently, the club finished a successful cleanup at the Tenakill Brook, picking up six full bags of trash from the stream. Next on the club’s agenda was a visit to Mackay Elementary School on Friday, April 21st to teach the students about the importance of Earth Day and encourage participation in events such as the town Trash-A-Thon.

The Green Team at Mackay

The Green Team has also been closely working with the Environmental Commission. “It’s amazing how impactful the Trash-a-Thon is,” Eve Bolkin, a member of the Environmental Commission, said. “Last year, we collected about 250 pounds of garbage. Everyone who participates can feel deep pride in how they personally are making a difference.”

As a continuation of last year’s event, people participating will be given a location to go pick up trash throughout Tenafly. Everyone will be supplied with the tools, garbage bags, and gloves. At the end of the cleanup, volunteers will be allowed to go to another location, or just drop off their bags. The event takes place at Huyler Park from one 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.. Please use the QR code on the flier to register yourself and/or your group. On behalf of the Green Team, we hope to see you there!