Apple’s “Wonderlust” Event: A Recap

Apple’s iPhone 15. Creative Commons.

Apple is known for delivering headline news in its annual fall event, especially regarding changes and new showcases of its products. This year, on September 12, 2023, the tech giant unveiled momentous news in its scheduled “Wonderlust” Event. This event included the introduction of four iPhone 15 models––which are now chargeable via USB-C cable––as well as two new Apple watches: the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2.

Following is a recap of all the news that Apple announced in event. 

iPhone 15

Arguably, the most notable news that Apple delivered was its revealing of its latest smartphone, the iPhone 15, which comes in four models: the standard iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Beginning at a price of $799, the standard iPhone 15 is the cheapest of the four, while the iPhone 15 Pro Max will list at $1,199, according to Apple.com. All models will be available for preorder starting on September 15 and will be available in stores on the 22nd. 

The iPhone 15 will come in five different colors––pink, yellow, green, blue, and black––and will be available in either a 6.1-inch base model or a 6.7-inch screen Plus model. These models will run on Apple’s new A16 processor, which enhances faster performance and multitasking compared with previous models. The iPhone Pro and Pro Max will run on Apple’s custom A17 chip, which is “the fastest chip ever on any smartphone,” according to The The New York Times. This chip helps to deliver USB transfer speeds faster, especially while playing video games, which was emphasized during Apple’s event. 

In addition to these updates, the iPhone 15 also features improved camera quality. The new model contains a 48-megapixel camera compared to the iPhone 14’s 12-megapixel camera, and has switched to a f/1.7 wide camera compared to the previous f/1.5 camera, according to MacRumors. The iPhone 15 Pro contains even more advanced features such as a 5x optical zoom up to 120mm focal length. 

Lastly, perhaps the most controversial but important change, is the implementation of new USB-C charging ports compared to the previous Lightning Cable used for the past 15 years. These USB-C ports used to be only in use for iMac and the Macbook, but this change was made in compliance with new European Union (EU) regulations, which have the goal of cutting down on E-waste. 

Apple Watch 

In addition to the release of its new iPhone model, Apple announced that it will be adding two new models to its Apple Watch. The first of these two is the Apple Watch Series 9. The Series 9 will come in five shades, which include a new pink color and stainless steel. This new model will also run on the new S9 watch chip, which Apple promises will give “very smooth transitions,” with the watch including a second-generation chip that can track your iPhone if misplaced. The Series 9 will be available to buy on September 22, and it will begin at a price of $400. 

Alongside the Series 9, Apple additionally announced the release of the Apple Watch Ultra 2, which contains numerous new features compared to the previous model. The Ultra 2 will also contain the newests S9 watch chip, as well as new features including new tap gestures, on-device Siri, and a tracking chip that features more precise methods to find your iPhone quicker. Just like the Series 9, the Ultra 2 will be available starting on September 22, with a starting price of $800. 

For many consumers who are concerned about the climate crisis, Apple has aimed to cease the use of leather in the production of products and utilize a soft, recyclable fabric called FineWoven. Carbon-neutrality is another ambition Apple hopes to reach by 2030. The Series 9 will be the first carbon-neutral product introduced by Apple. 

The new Apple Watch models. Creative Commons.

Economic Forecast

With the unveiling of Apple’s newest and innovative products at the Wonderlust event, there can be little to no doubt that these products, the iPhone 15 and the Apple Watch Series 9/Ultra 2, will procure significant investment as well as expansion of Apple’s annual revenues and market value. However, on September 12, the date of the Wanderlust Event, the performance of the AAPL (the stock of Apple Inc.), experienced a mixed day of trading.

According to Best Stocks, the stock opened and started at the price of $179.49, and fluctuated throughout the day, between a price range of $174 and $180, with the volume of shares being sold reached 4,891,712 shares. The fluctuation of the prices indicates the market’s initial skepticism of the introduction of the products, but the AAPL stock still managed to reach a positive growth in price. Analysts also predict that by the arrival of Apple’s next reporting date, on October 26th, the EPS (earnings per share) of the current quarter will reach $1.36, an improvement from the numbers of previous quarters. 

In the long-run, analysts also predict an expected earnings growth of 9.20% over the next five years, a different direction from the declining trends of Apple’s earnings this year, suggesting that the new products introduced during the Wonderlust Event will, like many previous innovations in the technology sector, will radically shift profit margins. 

Recap & What to Expect

Apple’s Wonderlust Event marks a major event and highlight of this fall. With the introduction of the iPhone 15 and the Apple Watch Series 9, Apple has improved and altered the technological features of the iPhone and other devices, developing new processors like the A16 and the A17, identified by pundits as the “fastest of any smartphone.” The camera quality of the iPhone has also improved, with large volumes of megapixels and wider frames of the camera lenses. Even features such as charging have also been altered, with the adaptation of the USB-C ports to all products of the iPhone 15. The improvements made to the Apple Watch Series 9— including the introduction of the S9 chips—will enhance more efficient transitions and touch gestures, as well as many more aspects. 

From the Wonderlust Event, consumers, investors, and new observers can expect some major changes to the status quo. Although the pricing of the new products is rather consistent with existing trends, there are still many new changes to be anticipated. The new technological features of the iPhone 15 and Apple Watch Series 9 will undoubtedly be something that veteran Apple users as well as new users will share in enjoyment.