New Jerseyan Rescued after Being Stuck in the Third Deepest Cave in the World

Mark Dickey, a 40-year-old New Jersey researcher, was trapped in the world’s third deepest cave for 11 days.

In a harrowing tale of survival and international cooperation, Mark Dickey, a 40-year-old cave explorer from Sussex County, New Jersey, recently found himself in a life-threatening situation within the Morca cave system, beneath the Taurus mountains of Turkey. As reported in The New York Times, Dickey, an avid researcher and senior member of the European Cave Rescue Association’s medical committee, embarked on a mission with fellow explorers down a 4,186 foot-deep cave system.

The narrative took a drastic turn on September 2, when Dickey fell ill, suffering from severe stomach bleeding nearly 3,400 feet below Earth’s surface. This condition stopped him, making him unable to make his way out of the cave on his own and calling for an urgent rescue mission. 

Dickey’s fiancee was determined. According to NBC News, she “climbed nearly 3,300 feet to retrieve necessary fluids” for his treatment which was also assisted by spelunkers from Turkey and Hungary. The Turkish government’s quick response was crucial, as Dickey expresses in his own words, “I don’t quite know what’s happened, but I do know that the quick response by the Turkish government to get the medical supplies that I needed, in my opinion, saved my life. I was very close to the edge.”

Suleyman Cenk Idaye / AP

This rescue mission, which NBC News called “one of the largest cave rescues in the world,” was anticipated to take days or even weeks due to the cave’s narrow passages. It was also reported that Dickey seemed to be “in serious, life threatening condition.” 

However, with the efforts of over 190 individuals from Turkey and eight other nations–Italy, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Poland, Albania, and the United States–Mark Dickey was rescued around 12:37 am local time on Tuesday. As reported by NBC News, “some parts of the cave system were blasted with explosives” to create pathways that facilitated moving Dickey towards the surface. 

This remarkable rescue, which necessitated the collaborative efforts of nations coming together in unison, not only brought Mark Dickey to safety but also exemplified the immense power of collective action. As Dickey was greeted with a mix of relief and wonder, he expressed, “It is amazing to be above ground again.” Later, he added, “This is overwhelming.”