Breakfast: Don’t Skip It + Improvement Tips

You’ve probably heard the saying from your parents, books, shows, or peers: “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” People ignore this widely known adage and choose to skip breakfast; however, there are many disadvantages in doing so, especially for students. 

The number of high school students who skip breakfast may shock you. “Three in four American high school students said they did not eat breakfast daily in 2021,” the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) reported. However, this should not be the norm.

It’s good for you! Breakfast can be a great source of nutrients to bolster adolescents’ energy. Healthychildren.org highlights the importance of key nutrients such as fiber, calcium, and vitamin D. Especially since high school students’ bodies are still developing, it is essential to take in these nutrients. Additionally, a nutritious breakfast lowers risk of heart disease and boosts your immune system. Furthermore, Florida Dairy Farmers states that breakfast may improve your mood. 

Food is fuel! Students visibly perform better in school after having breakfast. According to PubMed Central, evidence suggests that habitual breakfast was positively related to school performance as it provided a greater variety of food groups and an adequate amount of energy.

Moreover, “skipping breakfast deprives the brain of the fuel it needs thereby forcing it to look for a source of energy and lose focus. It is not advised to not go for over four to five hours after waking up without eating anything,” said Times Now, which also claimed that skipping breakfast can force cognitive function to decline.

If you skip out on breakfast, here are six tips to make breakfast easier and healthier provided by Healthychildren.org:

1. Set an earlier bedtime. 
  2. Eat breakfast together as a family when possible.
  3. Think outside the box. Get creative to think of quick and easy breakfast foods!
  4. Prepare breakfast the night before.
  5. Have grab-and-go foods available. 
  6. Consume school breakfasts. At Tenafly High School the food service, Pomptonian, sells breakfast in the morning, including before school starts. 

Additionally, there are many different types of breakfast foods that can be quick and easy! For example:

1. Yogurt/smoothie bowls/acai bowls (which you can top with fruits, granola, nuts, etc.).
  2. Pancakes or waffles (you can buy frozen ones from the grocery store—e.g. Trader Joe’s Maple Poffertjes).
  3. Granola, protein, or breakfast bars (like Kind or Nutri-Grain bars).
  4. Scrambled eggs (or omelets with vegetables/meat).
  5. Avocado spread on toast.
  6. Bagel with toppings of choice (cream cheese, butter, etc.).
  7. Oatmeal (which can be especially quick when instant!). 
  8. Pastries (such as croissants which can be bought at the local Stop & Shop or cafe). 

All in all, breakfast has numerous benefits and by preparing for a few minutes, you get the necessary fuel to kickstart your day!