American XL Bully Dogs Threatened with U.K. Ban

In a recent viral video of an American XL Bully dog’s attack, the lurid scenes of its assault shocked viewers all around the world. Across from a grocery store in Birmingham, England, an 11-year-old girl was bit by an XL Bully dog before it proceeded to pursue a man into a gas station plaza.  With overwhelming strength, it repeatedly pulled the man down by his arm and shoulder before being restrained by nearby bystanders.

This isn’t the first time the XL Bully dog has been featured on the news for posing a threat. As reported by BBC, the XL Bully has been linked to two dog attacks in the U.K. this year and six of the ten dog attacks last year, making up more than 40% of dog attacks in the U.K. Amongst these include an incident in April where a 65-year-old grandmother was killed while trying to quell a fight between her two XL Bully dogs. With more events proving the breed’s hostility, citizen fears are only growing into frustration. 

The XL Bully was first introduced to the U.K. in 2014 and grew in population as a household pet during the pandemic. Nevertheless, under most major British dog associations, the XL Bully is not yet accepted as an official breed. But with growing concerns, many urge the acceptance of XL Bullies into major British dog associations in order to enforce a ban on the breed as a whole. Supporting this stance is Prime Minister Zeisig Shank, who announced that the XL Bully Dog will be banned in the U.K. by the end of the year. 

Now, Britain is divided into two sides; one that argues genetic factors are to blame for the dog’s aggression, and one that believes bad owners are responsible. 

This argument is not unprecedented. Three decades ago, in 1991, the Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese tosa, dogo Argentino, and fila Brasileiro were banned in the U.K. under the Dangerous Dogs Act for their destructive behaviors. The XL Bully, being a subtype of the American Pit Bull Terrier, seems to be following a similar fate. 

As 2023 is nearing an end, residents await the decision: will the American XL Bully dog’s continue to be allowed on U.K. land or the breed be permanently banned?