The Season of Fun: Top 10 Things to Do in New Jersey Before Fall Ends

Wikipedia

Fall is a cold season, as it’s essentially the official pre-season to the freezing winter. In this time of frigid temperatures, there’s a lot of scenery, but the number of activities within New Jersey can seem quite limited. As we are wrapping up fall, it’s only natural as busy students that you may be thinking, “Gee, I’ve been so busy with the hectic days that I haven’t done anything during fall!” If your fall bucket list lacks any checks in those boxes and you regret not doing any fall activities, here are some activities that you can still do in the comfort of the state of New Jersey before this season ends.

1.) Go to the Tenafly Nature Center

Located just five minutes away from Tenafly High School, the Tenafly Nature Center offers a unique opportunity to view the wonders of nature. The constantly changing colors within the vast foliage change from a vibrant green in the months of August to a warm autumn palette. Walk down the numerous trails spanning multiple miles with wildlife nestled in the blanket of leaves that dominate the bumpy grounds and feel the cool temperatures of the serene lakes located throughout the center. The Tenafly Nature Center provides a peaceful and intimate experience with nature, which can be experienced alone or alongside an experienced tour guide! 

2.) Play in the Leaves 

Fall is the season containing beautiful red, orange, and yellow leaves. Not only are they enjoyable to look at, but they are also fun to jump in! There’s no need to contain your inner child inside you anymore. You can actually re-live your precious childhood moments! Feel the dew coated along each leaf after a typical autumn rainshower as you dive into the pile of crunchy and colorful leaves, dominating your world with a stunning array of colors, ranging from a beautiful bronze to a ravaging red. The crisp air stings your cheeks as the resounding rustling sound of the leaves sings within the amber-colored waves. So, go grab a rake, gather some leaves, fling some leaves into the sky, and enjoy being showered in a fun, leafy rain! 

3.) Go Pumpkin Picking 

Yes, Halloween is over, but those Halloween pumpkin vibes are not over until December 21st strikes! Stretch out your legs and run free in the vast grounds scattered with bright orange gourds as you engage in this quintessential fall activity! A key spot is Wightman Farms in Morristown, New Jersey, which offers only the best pumpkin selection and the most authentic experience. Pumpkin picking allows for a vast amount of fresh air and physical activity, as trudging through the unkempt and muddy grasses of a pumpkin patch is no easy task. Lift each pumpkin with pride, build up your strength, and go with your family or friends! This allows for quality bonding time as the scent of autumn swirls all throughout, and you’ll get lost in the moment, undoubtedly feeling pure and free. Once you’re done selecting the finest pumpkins, you can settle down next to a warm fire within the comfort of your home and carve and decorate your pumpkin. Bedazzle it in glitter, draw on some eyes, and create unique designs! 

4.) Go Apple Picking 

Go get a juicy snack and a fall favorite from Mother Nature herself! A key spot is Demarest Farms in Demarest, New Jersey, which offers only the best apple-picking experience. Like pumpkin picking, apple picking allows for a whirlwind of fresh air and physical activity, as trudging through the unkempt and muddy grasses of an apple orchard is quite a tedious task. As the leaves dance and sway and so many perfect apples are on display, pick your favorite apples to enjoy! As the scent of autumn swirls all throughout, you’ll get lost in the moment, undoubtedly feeling pure and free. However, you don’t want to get lost in the orchard, which is why it’s best to go with family and friends! Make cherishable memories and bake the apples into some delicious apple-themed desserts, like apple strudel, apple compote, and the best of all… apple pie. 

5.) Bake Apple Pie

Baking is fun anytime, but during the season of fall—otherwise known as the season of apples—it’s extra special and cozy making apple pie! Apple pie is the American dessert and a quintessential fall special. Every year, making a warm and gooey apple pie is always on someone’s bucket list, as that symphony of flavors among cinnamon, cardamom, sugar, and apples reminds many of childhood memories that rush back with each individual bite. Within each whisk of the dry ingredients and folding of the wet, the aroma of the warmth of the spices swirls throughout the kitchen before the pie even enters the oven, really capturing the essence of fall. As the sweet apples bubble on the stove, the entire house transforms into a kaleidoscope of flavors and different autumn colors and smiles shine on the faces of everyone. After allowing the viscous and glossy apple mixture to cascade into the sweet graham cracker crust, the blanket of dough covers the pie and an artist carves an intricate and unforgettable design before it enters the oven, allowing for a creative outlet for the whole family. Baking an apple pie enables a lifetime of memories and sublimity in the form of fall flavors that will leave many speechless. So, with the help of The Food Network, go bake an apple pie and enjoy your November days in sweetness!

6.) Make a Bonfire

Given the increasingly frigid temperatures that seep into the world after the Autumnal Equinox makes its mark, it’s only natural to seek out ways of keeping warm. As the earthly canvas pops with natural art that evokes a sense of energy, a smoky aroma fills the air after a bonfire is made. The flames rage and flicker from the supporting logs that surround the ravaging fire and the smoke ascends to the heavens. Making a bonfire creates not only an external warmth but a warmth that is felt internally as well. Making a bonfire allows for amazing bonding opportunities, allowing for the sharing of food, drinks, memories, and tales of all sorts through the long and cold nights of autumn. A bonfire is a key unifying element of the fall season and warms many hearts and souls, bringing together moments of laughter and love that will never be forgotten. Also, don’t forget to bring your sausages and marshmallows to roast over the fire, as the fire creates this unbeatable char that coats every inch of the treats of your choice. 

7.) Go to New York City

With only a river separating us and our sister state, the convenience that comes with traveling to such a change of scenery in New York City is unmatched. With a city that changes swiftly and smoothly along with each passing season, there is no better location to truly absorb every aspect of autumn with an arrangement of pumpkins, cornucopias, and scarecrows coating the normally drab streets of the Big Apple. The cool breeze lingers throughout each street corner, carrying aromas of cinnamon and cardamom with it, announcing to the city that autumn is officially here. Central Park is dominated by golden hues and bright reds that light up even the darkest and coldest of nights, like fireballs set ablaze lighting up the entire planet. The Empire State Building remains the centerpiece of the city that never sleeps, but the abundance of cider, pumpkin, applefest, Halloween decorations, and fall decor certainly distracts from the supposed icon. So, if you crave an authentic autumn experience in a city that assimilates to every equinox and solstice that passes, there is no better place than New York City. 

8.) Go to Starbucks and Drink Fall Drinks 

During the Fall, Starbucks has extra-cozy drinks, including the classic Pumpkin Spice Latte, and even an Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Latte! With many more options, there’s a drink for everyone! There’s no better way to embrace the fall vibes than drinking a fall drink from the beloved store: Starbucks. The rich blend of espresso, steamed milk, and pumpkin spice syrup swirl together to create a symphony of flavors, becoming an autumn staple for many in the United States. The velvety texture of the warm latte encapsulates the hearts and souls of many, warming the hands and hearts of millions of Starbucks customers every day. Each sip of this iconic beverage transports many to a world filled with less daylight and leaves delicately falling from each branch in sight. However, Starbucks has a plethora of other options for fall lovers, including the caramel brulee latte, pumpkin cream cold brew, maple pecan latte, and many more. Some popular Starbucks within New Jersey include the one in Closter Plaza in Closter, New Jersey; the one on East Palisade Avenue in Englewood, New Jersey; and the one conveniently located in the Garden State Plaza mall. As many will report, enjoying a fall beverage is so much more than simply warming your body, but rather an immersive experience that brings the season of autumn to life! 

9.) Take a Drive and Look Around 

For the upperclassmen who just received their permit or license: Do you need to practice driving to become an amazing driver? There’s no more perfect and fun time to do this than now, where you can be mesmerized by the colors outdoors. Driving around during the season of autumn is quite a sensory delight, to say the least. As the engine revs up and the tires graze smoothly against the cold concrete roads, an overwhelming hue of warm reds, oranges, and yellows dominate the scene and grow into an abstract blur as the vehicle accelerates. The crisp autumn air fills the lungs of many and a very woodsy aroma fills the air. Driving around in the fall allows for the exploration of the beautiful Garden State, seeing its natural wonders and notable sites. It also enables a mode of transportation to apple orchards, pumpkin patches, and many more. Driving around the beautiful state of New Jersey at its most gold (quite literally) provides a magical escape from the hectic moments of life, allowing us to simply relish in the simple wonders that the autumnal season has to offer. 

10.) Take Pictures 

Do you love photography? Do you always take pictures of what you find aesthetically pleasing? If this describes you, fall is the perfect season to get some extra-special pictures! Photographing is an opportunity to be creative and play with different styles and techniques to really capture the season of fall to carry in your pocket at all times. Between the vibrant colored trees, to the pumpkins all around town, take some pictures to remember these wholesome moments. By photographing fall experiences, you preserve the beauty and nostalgia of this magical season, seeing the leaves transform into a kaleidoscope of colors through the small square on a Nikon. Some notable sights to photograph include the unique foliage, a canopy of fall-colored trees, a forest trail, harvest festivals, apple orchards, pumpkin patches, and much more. Really capturing the playfulness of light and shadow that linger on hot cups of apple cider, cozy blankets, and pumpkins, you will create an entire gallery that captures the wonderful ambiance of fall, allowing you to live in autumn all year long. 

The fall season offers many exhilarating experiences for everyone to truly enjoy and experience! From exploring picturesque patches to enjoying a warm apple pie within the comfort of your own home, there is no shortage of fun-filled fall activities. So, embrace the crisp air, and festive ambiance, and make the most of this season by spending time with family and friends and making lifelong memories!