20 Cats Rescued From Unsanitary Apartment In Monmouth County

Getty_Images/iStockphoto

Twenty cats and kittens were discovered and rescued from an apartment in Neptune, in Monmouth County, NJ, on Wednesday, November 1st.

According to AppNews, in addition to the Monmouth County SPCA Humane Law Enforcement receiving the call, they were also informed that two adults and two children, ages 6 and 3, lived at the residence. The anonymous caller also concernedly said that the two children were constantly sent home from school due to poor hygiene. This called for Child Protection and Permanency service to be notified. Both the Police and the Division of Child Protection and Permanency visited the residence. 

According to Dailyvoice.com, upon the rescuers’ arrival, they reported that the apartment had a pungent smell and was bug-infested. The family was living in unsafe and unsanitary conditions that required further investigation by a team in full personal protective equipment. The team ended up finding 20 sick cats, including kittens, in the apartment. 

Luckily, there were no deceased cats in the apartment. However, all the cats were in shock. According to AudacyNews, all 20 cats were transferred to their local shelter for thorough medical examination after several hours. Several of the cats were treated for upper respiratory infections, eye ulcers, and dental diseases, likely caused by neglect. Some cats had good overall health, and the cats are now being prepared for adoption to healthier environments.

According to Petmd.com, a lack of mental engagement and physical activity can lead to boredom, obesity, and aggressive behavior in cats. In the case of the family in Monmouth County, each cat was unengaged and mostly idle. Not only was the apartment too unsanitary for the well-being of the cats, but the cats also needed more space for enrichment.

Overall, the family was struggling and professionals needed to be involved promptly to move everyone out of the unhealthy conditions.