Osaka Rolls into Tenafly Sushi Scene

Photo by Osaka Sushi

Tenafly is a multicultural breeding ground when it comes to food. Despite the town being small, it sure can satisfy every resident’s cravings. From Chinese to Greek to Indian cuisine, Tenafly offers a wide variety of options in its culinary scene. If the bright red awning hasn’t already caught your eye, a new spot just opened on Washington Street: an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant called Osaka. I took a chance this past weekend to indulge in my personal cravings and finally review this up-and-coming eatery. This sit-down restaurant in the heart of town is truly an amazing addition to Tenafly with an impressive and ample menu that seems never ending. Osaka is a contemporary environment where sushi is an art form, every roll a masterpiece waiting to be savored. 

Sushi is said to be an acquired taste. However, I like to argue that if you are in high school and still don’t like sushi, your taste buds haven’t matured yet. Picky eaters, this article might not be for you. Go eat your chicken fingers somewhere else. Sushi is thoroughly enjoyed by the nation. USA Today reported that approximately five million Americans have sushi at least once a month. 

So,  Osaka is a welcome addition to Tenafly’s existing sushi spots.  Cactus Sushi, Foova, and Mr. Wok & Sushi are all popular restaurants that prepare sushi. Tenafly is a repeat offender when it comes to opening stores and restaurants that serve the same purpose. This can be seen with the countless nail salons, numerous cafes, and handful of pizzerias. A sense of competition is emitted into the culinary atmosphere with townspeople constantly wondering what restaurant will win the battle.  It is apparent that Osaka will become a crowd-pleaser to the community of Bergen County and take the top spot in the sushi scene. 

“The place has a great atmosphere with very friendly and helpful workers who provide an enjoyable experience,” said Guy Elad (’25), who currently works at Osaka and enjoys many aspects of his job. From the customer’s perspective, I still think this opinion holds true as Osaka provides commendable service. The online ordering system was efficient and despite not dining in, it is evident that Osaka harbors an inviting environment. When picking up the food, the owner was overjoyed to see his doors flooded with new customers and was generous enough to even add free sodas to my family’s meal. The welcoming atmosphere and the sympathetic disposition of the owner affirm Osaka’s status as being a positive addition to the community. 

With the intention of being truly just in the review, I took the opportunity to order several menu items from Osaka. I initially wanted to get the full experience by sitting at the restaurant, but I couldn’t make room for that in my hectic schedule. Plus, I didn’t have a big enough appetite for all-you-can-eat. Before satiating my craving for sushi rolls, I started off with two appetizers: rock shrimp and crispy rice. Rock shrimp is a standard dish in most Asian restaurants so it seemed only fair to taste test something so simple. The tempura-coating was crisp and the spicy mayo complemented the natural sweetness of the shrimp. Honestly, this was a perfect start to a well-rounded meal. My favorite bite of the night was the spicy tuna crispy rice. While Osaka’s interpretation doesn’t compare to the infamous crispy rice served at the sushi chain Nobu, I can assure you that this crispy rice is on the must-try list. The petite size ensures that flavor is consistent each and every time. The textural contrast of the crunchy rice and finely minced tuna. I was thoroughly surprised at the execution of the appetizer and would call this the highlight of the taste-test. The appetizers truly set the stage for the performance that entailed. Time to put the spotlight on the main attraction of Osaka: the sushi rolls.  

I decided to think with my stomach and not with my brain when ordering so I got three rolls, two of which were special rolls and the other being a more common sushi order. Starting off with the salmon avocado, the salmon was rich and the avocado was fresh. The pungent wasabi cut the savory notes of the rice and nori, making a delicious bite. Moving on to the unique rolls, I ordered the New Dragon roll which included shrimp tempura and spicy kani salad within the roll with eel and avocado draped on top. This monstrous roll was not only visually appealing, but palate pleasing. It definitely lived up to its name as the roll had a slight heat to it, yet it wasn’t too overwhelming. The Crazy Tuna was the real MVP—a roll composed of spicy tuna with peppered tuna on the outside, adorned with jalapenos and scallion. The aromatic and bold flavor profile of the peppered tuna was remarkable, setting this roll apart from the others. Through this delightful journey of Osaka’s menu, each bite was a harmonious blend of fresh flavors, leaving my tongue yearning for more. 

In a grand sushi saga, Osaka is the protagonist Tenafly never knew it needed. Despite the present competition in town, Osaka finds a way to carve its niche with a memorable menu. Osaka proves to be a new culinary gem that adds vibrancy to Bergen County.