The Opening of CosMc’s Lights Up the Fast Food Universe

On December 7, McDonald’s transported us to a new, stellar universe by launching CosMc’s, a long-anticipated franchise centered around serving beverages and desserts uniquely from McDonald’s in Illinois. CosMc’s has a dazzling future, as it plans on opening up nine more locations in and around San Antonio, Texas. Its menu evokes a similar concept to Starbucks, which begins a new rivalry between which companies are more cloying or, as some may say, which drinks are more delicious. McDonald’s has secretly found ways to rejuvenate our taste buds with the opening of CosMc’s. So far, we think that the “CosMc” star has the potential to shoot beyond the universe of fast food.

The grand opening of the first CosMc’s store in Illinois was a significant hit. According to CBS News, the grand opening resulted in long lines of cars in the drive-through, which is designed to be fast-moving with multiple windows since it’s a grab-and-go establishment. This means customers don’t have to face a dilemma about which germ-infested seat to pick inside the restaurant, since CosMc’s prioritizes a new fast-paced drive-through that manages the traffic based on the “complexity of [one’s] order.” CosMc’s only allows orders through the drive-thru or online. This is convenient for people in a hurry who want to get refreshers or a simple breakfast.

While McDonald’s mainly focuses on fast food for lunch and dinner, CosMc’s focuses more on breakfast and snacks for in-between meals. According to Diario AS, “a slump in sales between meal times has prompted the fast-food company to open a new chain focusing on coffee and other beverages in an attempt to rival the likes of Starbucks and Dunkin’ for thirsty consumers in the afternoon.”

You’re probably wondering how a spin-off restaurant on McDonald’s will ever intimidate or “steal customers” from other fast food chains since CosMc’s coffee offerings are similar to those offered by chains like Starbucks and Dunkin’. This means it’ll be a battle of who offers the better lattes, cappuccinos, mochas, or cold brews. 

For those of you who don’t require a caffeine rush to get through your slow mornings, you may be interested in the new “Signature Galactic Boosts” like Sour Cherry Energy and the Berry Hibiscus Sour-ade. According to BBC, the company calls these mixes of flavors “bold and unexpected.” This confirms how customers can rely on CosMc’s to purchase their new favorite drinks since nowhere else can replicate the mouthwatering food and beverages. CosMc’s also offers ice cream for kids wanting a sugar-rush high. This means it will lure in a wide variety of customers, from middle-aged moms craving a pick-me-up to little kids indulging in decadent ice creams. 

Additionally, some of CosMc’s menu items divert from your typical simple caramel latte. For example, drinks including churro frappes, pear-flavored slushies, and turmeric offer unique and interesting flavors. CosMc’s is setting the stage for an entirely new era in the drink station, attracting people who want a change from the repetitiveness of Starbucks’ drink items. 

The menu at CosMc’s differs entirely from McDonald’s, ranging from over ten recently developed drinks to many new breakfast and dessert options. “The food menu is a little more limited but equally unique, featuring a Spicy Queso Sandwich, a Creamy Avocado Tomatillo Sandwich, Pretzel Bites, Savory Hash Brown Bites, a snack box, and stuffed pastry bites called McPops,” Usa Today stated. “There are also cookies, sundaes, McFlurries, ice cream, and three traditional McMuffin options.”

What’s so unique about CosMc’s is how it deviates from the typical face-to-face interactions with workers, starkly contrasting with how other stores like Starbucks operate. For those struggling with social anxiety and the fear of interacting with others, CosMc’s allows those people to place orders without the trouble of going into the store and physically interacting with someone. Furthermore, it saves workers the stress of having to deal with unruly customers. It seems like a win-win situation for all parties involved, which shows the benefits of CosMc’s new ordering system. 

CosMc’s is emerging into the competitive realm of coffee and fast food chains. While there may be negative aspects of the new franchise, as of now, it seems to be off to a good start.