Teachers, Where Do Your 9th Grade Students Go?

Every year, in the middle of January, ninth-grade students disappear with excitement. Have you ever wondered the reasoning behind this disappearance?  The Israeli Scouts has been a long-term organization of many teens in the Jewish community volunteering to guide other youths. And every winter, the Scouts hold a five-day trip to better their upcoming counselors’ leadership qualities.

On January 11, the ninth-grader Scouts boarded the bus to Lake Camp Fairview, which was their first step to being counselors. Once the future leaders arrived, as a part of the requirements in becoming counselors, they needed to meet new people so that they could form bonds. “When you get to know these kids, you get to know how the Israeli Scouts group works, get ideas from them on how to be better counselors, and make new friends,” Shiri Cohen, head of Shevet Metzada, the Tenafly Israeli Scouts program, said. This is one of the main reasons for this camp, since bonding is one of the most important things you can do. 

Besides making new friends, the ninth graders participated in a series of activities that taught them how to present themselves and different subjects, such as what it means to be Israeli in America; how to create togetherness in a group; and how to manage a group. “This camp was much more of a learning experience compared to the other ones, as they were more based on fun, but in this one we learned how to be better counselors if we want to be one,” Dariya Grechanikov (’27), a ninth grader from Cresskill High School, said. The camp ends with a ceremony that celebrates the new students who became counselors. During this exciting moment, the ninth graders receive a certificate, which acknowledges all the hard work they did during the five days. 

Before ninth grade, many of these students always believed that the people in charge of them are just bossing them around but when they step into their position, then they can finally understand the meaning behind their role. “I think it was really transformative for my perspective about tzofim…on how to lead, and it was my first time being in a leadership position,” Tom Lavi (’25), a former attendee, said. This camp helped many current Israeli Scouts leaders be who they are today. Before the retreat, the ninth graders were considered campers, but now they are considered leaders.

So, teachers, next year, when your Israeli freshmen students suddenly disappear in early January, you’ll know why.