& Juliet Takes Broadway by Storm

Creative Commons: Wikimedia
Creative Commons: Wikimedia

We all know the timeless play Romeo and Juliet, written by William Shakespeare, and for those who have actually read it, you may have a few thoughts about the ending. For example, the fact that, for Juliet, loving Romeo meant cutting her life short. For David West Read, discontent with the conventional ending spurred the idea of a new one, thus marking the creation of & Juliet.

& Juliet is a jukebox musical arranged by Max Martin. If you don’t know what a jukebox musical is, it is basically a musical that uses popular songs as a majority of its music selection. To my surprise, rather than being greeted by an obscure and unknown number, I was met with a rendition of Britney Spears’ “Baby, One More Time.” Throughout the musical, you are bound to be amazed and entertained by the familiar tunes. And it is appealing not only for younger generations but for older ones as well, with the musical including songs ranging from the ’90s to the 2010s. The talent of the performers takes these pop songs to another level, heightening the performance to a Broadway-worthy one.

In addition to the thrilling musical numbers, the writing gives audiences a whole new perspective on the story of Romeo and Juliet. Instead of Juliet killing herself after finding Romeo dead (I would say spoiler alert, but you should probably know this at least), Anne Hathaway (Betsy Wolfe), Shakespeare’s unsung wife, suggests a rewrite. Juliet (Lorna Courtney) takes her destiny into her own hands, as she decides to not stick to the script of simply an ill-fated, star-crossed lover. Juliet’s newly written tale is an amazing metaphor for the story of Anne Hathaway, and throughout the musical, we are able to witness the two take back their autonomy and portray the message of self-reliance and self-love through a feminist lens. 

Through poignant ballads and humorous scenes, we are transported to a Parisian setting where we learn the meaning of writing your own “ending.” With the diverse cast and ample representation within the script, & Juliet creates an ultra-inclusive experience that can resonate with a wide audience. If you are looking for a musical with an upbeat energy, a talented cast, an important message, and an amazing soundtrack, be sure to check it out.