A Resurgence of Film Photography

Annie Spratt’s film photography with a 120.00mm vase (non-copyright via Unsplash)

In the modern day, where time seems to move ever so quickly, people tend to seek efficient technologies. For example, today, almost everyone seems to have a high-resolution camera at their fingertips that can capture life’s moments with a simple tap on their smartphone. In such a fast-paced digital world, it would be unlikely that a complex, slow method of photography would experience a resurgence in popularity. Despite the odds, film photography has made an extraordinary revival of usage and come into vogue with teenagers and others of Gen-Z. But what has contributed to such an unlikely reappearance of film photography? 

Film photography, which can be taken in multiple film gauges, has been appreciated in the past mainly due to its ability to capture digital images that can be physically kept and hung around your room. According to Adobe, many people associated film and analog photography to be more complex, as there are no automatic buttons and orderly gridlines that help to capture a “well-exposed photograph.” Instead, photographers can manually make decisions on certain aspects they want their photograph to focus on, whether it is focusing on one subject, altering the color scheme, or changing other specific measures or compositions. Another unique advantage that analog photography provided was its ability to make photographers feel rewarded after taking a photo. Unlike digital cameras, which could be processed within seconds, gazing upon film photographers generally helped photographers appreciate their work, according to MasterClass. The article described that besides the arduous time and effort required, “it’s the process that many photographers find extremely satisfying.”

Amongst teenagers in the modern day, however, other reasons may fuel their interests in film photography. Recently, the thematic trend of being “retro” has risen, as many seem to find value in appreciating vintage styles, whether it is in clothing, shoes, or music. This is a recurring theme with film enthusiasts, who may find the aesthetics of film photography to be a cherished, vintage style. According to a blog written in Medium, film photography “takes us on a journey back in time, evoking memories of simpler days when we had to wait for our photos to be developed.

Being a teenager in the 21st century, I feel that this rise of film photography speaks to a larger, overall point. What may have been a nuisance for teenagers back in the day is now cherished as a “vintage aesthetic” for Gen-Z teenagers. How ironic? With such a swift rise in a digital age, such type of analog photography goes against the norm of digital photography. Film photography forces our mind and thoughts to slow down, critically considering each shot rather than blindly taking photos through your automated smartphone camera.

In essence, film photography pertains to a larger beauty beyond simply its cherished aesthetics. In today’s world, where everything seems to go by so quickly, it is crucial to grab these fleeting moments at times. Activities such as film photography remind us to slow down, appreciate the beauty of progress and imperfection, and find rewarding moments after struggle.