Why Joining a Spring Sport Is the Right Choice

Whether it be a first or a routine, consider joining a school sport this spring for a memorable experience.
rawpixel.com
Original public domain image from Wikimedia Commons

Sports are not everyone’s strong suit. The process can seem tiring, too much of a commitment, or outright boring. It may be the fear of messing up or daunting past experiences of failure that are holding students back. But with March approaching and the Spring sports season coming up, THS offers an array of options to choose from. There is baseball, golf, lacrosse, softball, tennis, and track all in season, and participating in any of those sports can greatly improve both physical and mental health. 

The Benefits of Playing a Team Sport 

1. Playing a sport will boost self-confidence and leadership while teaching students to persevere. Seeing growth throughout the season is so satisfying and rewarding, and it truly leaves students with more confidence than before. In particular, the process of participating and competing in sports games/meets can give students new experiences of both failure and success. It is without a doubt that sports require discipline, even more as students aspire for greater results. Setting a clear goal and being willing to work for it can be tiring at times, but by committing to a sport, students can grow these traits and apply them to any part of their life, from academics to simple self-improvement. 

1. Studies reveal that physically active students may perform better in school and show increased concentration during class. According to a study released by the National Library of Medicine in 2013, “Basic cognitive functions related to attention and memory facilitate learning, and these functions are enhanced by physical activity and higher aerobic fitness.” It is a common belief that sports take away the time available for academics, but exercise in moderate amounts may boost a student’s academic performance. Physical activity improves blood flow to the brain, enhancing cognitive functions. Furthermore, students who participate in a sport may learn time management skills to balance their academic work and extracurricular activities. 

1. The most obvious benefit of being physically active is that students can gain healthy habits to stay fit. As a student who joined track with no prior experience of exercise, I can guarantee this. Most sports hold daily practices after school and some also on weekends, which inadvertently incorporates exercise into an everyday routine. The body needs exercise; it is a truth well recognized in the school curriculum, where every student is encouraged to take a Physical Education course. With the perfect supplement of exercise every day, immunity against diseases improves, and bones and muscles strengthen. 

1. The most valuable aspect of joining a school sport is that every member is part of a team. Whether it be softball, lacrosse, or track, all sports practices are chances to meet new people and gain valuable connections. Sports teams are not grade-exclusive, meaning students can make friends across all four grades through hours of practicing and learning together. This is not only a chance to build relationships but also to develop teamwork skills that will be useful in all aspects of life. Being on a team teaches students how to cooperate with others, communicate effectively, and work together for a common goal. From expanding social networks and belonging to a community to developing interpersonal skills, team sports hold so many benefits. 

1. Lastly, join a sports team because it will be a fun experience. I signed up to join a sport last season purely for the sake of my deteriorating physical health. With much fear and anticipation, I went to the first day of practice with a friend and left cold and sore, but, most importantly, surprised. To my disbelief, I had so much fun doing the thing I thought I hated most: sports. Since then, I have made new friends and strengthened existing bonds, and I have been challenged and encouraged by the fear of new experiences. Not to mention, getting a fresh breeze every day for an hour or so turned out to be more satisfying than I had ever imagined. 

As threatening as it may seem at first, taking the risk to join a school sport can truly create unforgettable memories before the school year ends. So, even if it means picking up something completely new, consider dedicating yourself to a sport this Spring season. Maybe you’ll even find a talented athlete inside of you.