My Happiness at the Finger Lakes

Trail at Fingerlakes

Have you ever gone to a place where, the moment you arrive, you immediately know it’s the best place you have ever visited? Or perhaps, a place that holds memories of good and bitter moments in your childhood?

For my family, that describes the Finger Lakes, a group of lakes in upstate New York. We occasionally go there a few times a year to take a breather from our busy lives and appreciate little things in nature. The Finger Lakes occupy a region that extends from Rochester to Syracuse and Lake Ontario down to the Pennsylvania border. As the name suggests, when you look at the map of the Finger Lakes, you can see the wobbly tracks of the water resemble human fingers. There are 11 lakes in total and they all flow into Lake Ontario. My family and I first visited the Finger Lakes on the first summer since the pandemic. We wanted to go somewhere where there were fewer people and where we could have contact with others. The Finger Lakes were perfect for us, and ever since, we have been visiting the lakes on a regular basis.

When my family goes to the Finger Lakes region, we generally go to Ithaca, which is at the southern tip of Cayuga Lake. We also go to the area around Keuka Lake and Seneca Lake. One of our favorite things to do at Finger Lakes is hiking. We have gone hiking in places such as Watkins Glen State Park, Buttermilk Falls, and Robert H. Treman State Park. The trails in these parks are generally not difficult to follow, so many people can enjoy them. Being outside on a sunny day and  walking along with the water and through the forest with my family always makes me feel refreshed. We get to spend time with each other, unplug ourselves from technology, and engage in the beautiful sound and sight around us. The trails at the Finger Lakes offer peaceful and picturesque views for people to truly enjoy their time in nature.

Up in the Finger Lakes region, my family also enjoys going to wineries. There are a lot of vineyards at the Finger Lakes, and due to the ideal environment of the region, the grapes are of top-notch quality. Some places where we have gone to are Domaine Le Seurre, Hermann J. Wiemer and Weis. You may think that going wine-testing would be a boring experience for teenagers who can’t try anything. Nonetheless, my sisters and I have found ways to have a good time, as the wineries usually have cookies, cheese boards or other things to enjoy while our parents enjoy their wine-tasting. Also, the surroundings are very beautiful, so we usually walk around and check out the grapes in the vineyards. In other cases, we often go to an ice cream shop nearby and get some ice cream. That way, both adults and children get to have a pleasing time.

All things considered, there are places my family visits every time we go to the Finger Lakes region. One of them is called Shtayburne Farm, a family-owned dairy farm. There, my family always gets an ice cream flight as well as cheese to take home.  Then there’s The Olney’s Place, where my family gets sandwiches, usually as a lunch on the way home. The sandwiches come in a variety, and they are very delicious. As we are regular visitors, the owner welcomes us with warm hospitality whenever we go there. Above all, whenever my family goes to the Finger Lakes, we go to D&K Ranch. It is where we ride and interact with horses. We go on a little trail in a single line in the forest, enjoy the ride, and get to know the horse we’re riding. There are also cabins and a small house within the property where we can stay and fully immerse ourselves  in nature. When we wake up in the house, we can go see the horses right away. At night, we gather around a campfire and meet other families. When it gets dark, stars display themselves on the sky, and it’s a joy to appreciate the beauty that we nowadays rarely see due to light pollution.

Thus, the Finger Lakes are essentially my family’s paradise. There is something about the place that makes us feel connected when we are there. When we return, we feel fulfilled and simply happy. They remind me of the countryside I used to visit frequently back in Japan, where my great grandparents used to live. Somehow, the Finger Lakes have a warm warmth that exudes  through both the nature and people living there. I firmly believe that every person has or will have a place that’s special to them whether it is a house, a country, a favorite vacation place, or simply the place you spend your time the most.  I hope everyone can have a place that brings back memories and relaxation.  If you know such a place, I encourage you to preserve them in your memories because they will remind you of the tiny sparks of happiness that can easily make your day.