Lauren Dayton: Coming Back Because She Has Your Back

Prom, state tournaments, and studying for finals are just some of what’s going on in our town during the first week of June, but did you know there is also a primary election? 

The primary election includes the race for several federal, state, and local positions, including town council. Lauren Dayton is once again stepping up to run for a seat on the Tenafly Council, driven by her deep commitment to the community. I recently sat down with Lauren to hear why she is seeking another term.  

“I am doing this because I want to give back to my community and improve it for friends, family, the community, and neighbors,” Dayton said. With two previous terms on the town council, she has extensive experience, a clear vision, and an understanding of the future of Tenafly. 

Dayton’s campaign focuses on several key issues to make sure Tenafly gets the treatment it deserves. Dayton aims to create a community in which everyone feels welcome and, most importantly, included. Her dedication to inclusivity is evident from her past initiatives. When Dayton was first elected to council in 2017, she met with a Tenafly resident. As they talked, the resident shared that he felt uncomfortable in his community with his partner. Dayton knew what to do. She told him that, together, they were going to make history by establishing the first-ever Tenafly Pride Day. 

Not only did Dayton create Tenafly Pride Day, but she also assumed a major leadership role during the pandemic. As Council President during COVID, Dayton faced unprecedented challenges. Residents mentioned to her they didn’t have easy access to vaccines and that they were scared to leave their homes to get shots. She reached out to Mayor Judah Zeigler of Leonia and, together, they partnered with Englewood Hospital to create a vaccine clinic right in Leonia using Tenafly EMTs. They also got buses for senior citizens to pick them up, get them vaccinated, then bring them home safely. Using their community-focused mindset, they got people vaccinated faster than almost all of the communities around Tenafly. 

In addition to her concern for residents, Dayton is committed to revitalizing and rebuilding downtown Tenafly. When downtown experienced multiple businesses that were closing, Dayton wrote, and got unanimous approval for something called the “vacant property ordinance”. This ordinance did not allow landlords to keep a storefront vacant for a tax break. If you left your storefront empty, you had to clean it and take care of it or you faced a fine. This encouraged landlords to find new tenants to fill their vacancies and keep Tenafly vibrant. When feedback from the community indicated that in the fall and winter, the area feels dark and uninviting, Dayton procured new LED streetlights and added roadside improvements such as new curbside, decorations, and flowers In re-envisioning downtown, Dayton mentioned that what seems to be missing are ready-made places for food, like a grab-and-go option for healthy family dinners. She also sees a need for more variety in retail and a good hangout space where middle schoolers and teens can eat and spend time, other than just CVS. Additionally, she believes that converting older buildings into new apartments would help modernize the town and make it a more exciting place to live. Dayton also prioritizes traffic issues to improve our town. An outside company was brought in to review all traffic patterns, parking, traffic light timing, and bus flow to create a newer, more efficient system. Enhancing connectivity by offering more bike and walking options would also greatly improve Tenafly.

To the students who want to get involved in improving the community, Dayton’s advice is simple and powerful: “Speak Up! As students, you have a unique perspective and the ability to think outside the box about issues seen in everyday life.” Dayton loves hearing resident’s ideas, even the littlest things. For high school seniors and parents who are eligible to vote, there’s a significant lack of voting in our town. For Dayton, voting is incredibly important and every single vote carries meaning. Dayton encourages everyone to look up candidates online, reach out on social media, and watch videos to get informed. For many 12th graders, this is their opportunity to vote and make a difference. Lauren Dayton believes in the power of community involvement, and her dedication to our town shows this. Learn more about the candidates for Council and other local positions below and vote in the primary this coming Tuesday, June 4!