Celebrating the 12th Annual Dr. Helen Coyle Science Research Honors Symposium

The 12th Annual Dr. Helen Coyle Science Research Symposium occurred on Wednesday, May 22. The 41 current Tenafly science research students from grades 10-12 showcased their unique research projects to parents, teachers, and mentors to celebrate the hard work and dedication from this past year. The Science Research program allows students interested in science to explore a field of their choice from physics to biology to engineering under the guidance of an external mentor. Research posters from this past year can currently be found on the library’s second level. While the annual symposium focuses on celebrating the seniors as they wrap up their high school careers, it is also used to welcome the new students from the freshman grade into the program. 

The symposium consisted of four main parts. The first part began after lunch with a presentation from Dr. Kevin Tong, a guest speaker from the Center for Discovery and Innovation. Tong specializes in colorectal cancer research, which is the second leading cause of cancer-associated deaths in the United States. He explained how his lab uses genetic mouse models and organoid systems, three-dimensional miniaturized versions of organs and tissues derived from stem cells.

After the presentation, students returned to school at 5 pm for the main symposium. As guests trickled into the auditorium,  the emcees — seniors Kelsey Goldman, David Sen, and Gabrielle Eimbinder — welcomed the guests and students and introduced the incoming sophomores. Afterward, the ceremony transitioned into the senior presentations, where a few selected seniors presented their research in the auditorium. This year’s senior presentations were conducted by Cindy Pyo, Elliott Yoon, Kayla Cheng, and Hongju Cho. 

Sophomores Hillary Xie and Wendy Guo, who placed 2nd in the Environmental Science/Ecology category at NJAS and won the grand prize at UBP, shared their experience, presenting their project. “I was happy to present all my hard work to classmates, parents, and teachers,” Guo shared.

Ms. Anat Firnberg, their science research teacher, is inspired by her students’ dedication and commitment to pursuing excellence in her students’ endeavors. “The year was very successful in terms of competitions and high achieving students. I am extremely proud of everyone!” She is excited to meet the next generation of science research students, the incoming sophomore class, and is determined to continue supporting her current juniors. “Next year’s seniors will be just as accomplished,” she said.

To wrap up the night, the symposium moved into the library at 6:30pm, opening up the floor to allow guests to explore the posters demonstrating the research from the rest of the science research students. Parents and teachers were able to observe the numerous projects conducted over this past year and ask questions to students about their work. 

Congratulations to the students and teachers that are involved with THS’ science research program, and a sincere thank you to the parents for making this research possible!