The Perks and Demerits of Your Daily Brew

Imagine the morning sun peeking through your window, the world quiet, and the day’s slate clean. For many this moment calls for a familiar ritual: the beeline to the coffeemaker. The rich aroma of freshly brewed coffee fills the air, signifying that the day has begun. While some may start their day by scrolling through their phone or keeping up their personal hygiene, countless others tend to find themselves embracing a warm cup of coffee. Not only is it about the taste but also the promise that comes with it: lending a helping hand to transition us from slumber to the demands of daily life. 

There’s a perpetual debate surrounding the effects of caffeine, leaving many pondering its potential benefits or drawbacks.

Caffeine can positively influence mental well-being by enhancing the flow of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with feelings of happiness and engagement. A study by Harvard School of Public Health  suggest that moderate coffee consumption may reduce the chances of depression and any type of suicidal behavior due to the dopamine affect. In addition to dopamine, coffee releases adrenaline resulting in increased energy and alertness. Mr Whitehead, a teacher at THS, can attest to this. He states “I love coffee, I like how it gives me a little pick me up in the morning.”  

Additionally, according to Frontiers, caffeine has been linked to improved cognitive function and memory retention. Moreover, caffeine’s performance-enhancing effects extend to affect physical activity as well; when coffee is absorbed in one’s body, endurance and speed is improved. 

Dr. Kilgore, a neurologist, told AMA that caffeine may aid in weight management by increasing metabolic rate and suppressing appetite. This benefit of caffeine is most pronounced when consumed in its purest form, such as black coffee, as added sugars and creams can negate these effects and counter weight gain. Hili Hera (’27) said, “As a consistent coffee drinker, I have noticed that my metabolism has sped up, making me less bloated.”

While savoring the rich flavors of this beverage can bring about moments of enjoyment, it’s crucial to acknowledge the potential drawbacks associated with its consumption, especially when exceeding the recommended limits. Dr. Kilgore notes, “Most people have safely under 400 milligrams a day, which is what the Food and Drug Administration considers safe.” However, individual tolerances vary and some may be more prone to its effects, including shakiness, agitation, headaches, trouble sleeping, dizziness, racing heart and dehydration, as stated in an article on WebMD. Mr. Whitehead does not experience these effects as long as he sticks to his usual routine. “I have three cups a day, 16 ounces in the morning, at about 5:20, four ounces anywhere between 9:00-10:00 a.m. and then I do another four ounces in the afternoon, usually around 3:00,” Whitehead said.

Many turn to coffee as a means to become sharp and lively throughout the day, a seemingly positive benefit. Yet, it’s essential to recognize that caffeine’s effects may persist beyond daylight hours, disrupting sleep patterns and making it challenging to unwind. Amanda Forman (’27) said, “I love coffee, but when I drink it later than 5 p.m., I have difficulty falling asleep and sometimes can’t sleep at all.” Furthermore, caffeine can exacerbate feelings of jitteriness and anxiety. If you have an existing anxiety and panic disorder, doctors may advise you to avoid caffeine. 

For expecting mothers, the importance of reducing caffeine intake cannot be overstated, as emphasized by Dr. Clark, a neurologist. Excessive caffeine consumption during pregnancy can potentially lead to dependency in newborns, resulting in withdrawal symptoms post-birth. Guidelines from the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology recommend limiting caffeine intake to less than 200 milligrams per day, during pregnancy. Mrs. Eastwood, a teacher at THS, said, “When I was pregnant, I switched to decaf coffee to limit my caffeine intake.”

When deciding to cut back or completely put an end to your caffeine addiction, you may encounter withdrawal effects, including fatigue, crankiness, pounding headaches, muscle pain, and an increase in anxiety. To navigate this process efficiently, gradual reduction of caffeine intake is advised. By moderating consumption, the nervous system can adapt moderately to functioning without reliance on coffee itself. 

At the end of the day, when the sun sets, all the chatting dies down, and there is no more task to be accomplished, many lay in bed, ready to relax. At this time, some may sip out of a glass of water, while others might be tempted to another cup of coffee. However, consuming coffee late in the day can make it difficult to fall asleep, interfering with the much-needed rest that follows a long day. Just as the morning cup of coffee ushers us into the demands of life, refraining from that evening cup is crucial to ensuring a restful night. Coffee is two-faced and while it can enrich our experiences, it’s important to recognize when it might hinder them. From dawn till dusk, understanding when to embrace and when to forgo coffee helps us maintain a healthy balanced lifestyle.