Unified Champion Club Takes Trip to Mini Golf with Special Olympics

Unified Champion Club members and THS students and staff at the front of TMS

Thanks to the dedication of club president Anna Buchanan (’25) and club advisor Mme Williams, members of the Unified Champion Club—a newly formed integration of THS students and TMS Special Olympics students with the mission to raise awareness and foster inclusion and acceptance of students with disabilities—hosted one last trip of the year to Monsters Mini Golf Paramus on May 31, 2024. 

At the end of period two, high school students jogged to the front of the middle school to meet their long-time, no-see buddies. Students were excited to meet with one another, bombarding each other with the “Do you remember me?” Each high schooler sat with one or two middle schoolers on the bus. Although it was supposedly not a short ride, it felt like an instant because of all the fun conversations bouncing around. “It was so nice to see all the familiar faces after a couple of months, and all the organization that went into making the field trip happen was definitely worth it,” said Buchanan. 

Upon arrival, the students were split into two groups and alternated between mini golf and arcade games and then rejoined to eat lunch together.  The space was dimmed and decorated with unique lighting, causing neon-colored objects to appear as if they were glowing. Real-life-sized “monsters” scattered around the room, scaring whoever passed by. Glowing handprints, skeletons, and trippy paintings further emphasized the “monster” golf theme. 

Throughout the mini golf, the workers were enthusiastic and encouraged us to dance to the songs and earn a neon necklace. In the end, students ended up with five or more necklaces of different neon colors stacked around their necks as everyone was so engaged and energized. Certain levels were hard to golf past, so some of us may or may not have cheated our way through. Being inexperienced golfers, the golf balls inevitably hit every corner possible. The most hit object was perhaps everyone’s shoes. Nevertheless, all of us were able to visually learn from one another and complete this exciting journey. 

The arcade was half the size of the mini golf, yet the games were the iconic usuals. Each student was given five dollars to play with, as most games cost only one dollar each. Everyone wanted to catch a ride on Mario Kart or complete a kill in The Walking Dead. Eventually, high schoolers were so hooked on the games that they ended up purchasing more tickets and earning more prizes. “I got a 25-point prize because Olivia Kee (’24) reloaded the game card,” said Gain Lim (’25), with a big smile on her face. 

When it was time to part ways, we felt a brief sorrow because this could be the last time some of us would cross paths. Nonetheless, students and staff all had a precious time giggling, chatting, and golfing together. “I’m really proud of how Unified Champions Club has been carrying out its goals!” exclaimed Buchanan.