The Newest Addition to the Kardashian Family: Stormi Webster

‘How well can you keep a secret? Well, for Kylie Jenner, her secret was being pregnant for nine months. Kylie Jenner, age 20, is a CEO, model, and reality TV star, most known for being on Keeping up with the Kardashians. Recently, there were rumors that the star was pregnant with her boyfriend, Travis Scott, whom she had been dating for two months. On February 4th, Kylie announced on Instagram that on the first of February she gave birth to her baby daughter, Stormi Webster.

The Kardashians and the Jenners are known for their stunning looks, bodies, and fashion. Kylie Jenner takes part in many fashion campaigns and has a significant online presence, so hiding her pregnancy must have been difficult. The conspiracies started to formulate when Jenner posted a drawing of her and a younger child. People had the idea that it was her child in the picture. The rumors died down until people found it suspicious that Jenner was not shown in any of her family’s Christmas cards, that she had not been posting on social media, and that the only pictures she did post hid her abdomen. “I understand you’re used to me bringing you along on all my journeys. My pregnancy was one I chose not to do in front of the world,” Jenner said in her Instagram post.

Stormi Webster’s name was released on Tuesday. Webster is Travis Scott’s, the father’s, surname. It is speculated that the name Stormi, which is a play on ‘storm’, or stormy, comes from the idea of the butterfly effect. The butterfly effect says that the single flap of a butterfly’s wing can trigger a storm. Later, fans noticed that she was wearing a diamond-studded butterfly necklace gifted by Travis Scott. Scott also released a single called “Butterfly Effect,” which came out nine months prior to Jenner’s pregnancy.

The statement Kylie Jenner posted on Instagram on February 4th.

For many, Jenner’s announcement isn’t a surprise. “Why else would she go into hiding for so long? There’s no other excuse for that,” said Nikita Mahadeo (’18). Jenner said in her announcement that she kept the baby a secret for her and her baby’s health. Even though many fans are hurt by Jenner’s secrecy, many do understand why she would choose to keep her pregnancy private. “I wouldn’t want everyone in my business saying, ‘Oh, how’s your pregnancy going?’ and there’s also a lot of hate and backlash,” said Mia Larame (’18). “There’s a lot of judgment.”

Much of that hate stems from the idea that Jenner is unfit to be a parent, given her age and lifestyle. However, some people do think that Jenner will make a great mother. And many argue that no matter what, it’s her decision and her life. “If you’re financially stable and have a working partner who’s gonna be there, then you can have a baby if you want to,” said Mahadeo. “It’s not a forced thing. You don’t have to have a baby if you don’t want to.” 

Many people have their own opinion on what the best time to have a baby is, and even though there is quite a bit of backlash, Jenner continues to keep a positive outlook for her and her baby. “The baby’s cute. Congratulations,” said Mahadeo.

Here is a link to the video Jenner posted on YouTube explaining her journey: https://youtu.be/BhIEIO0vaBE

About the Writers
Emma Cohen, Staff Writer
Emma Cohen (’18) is a Staff Writer for The Echo. She is a member of the Book Club and does MMA kickboxing. When she’s not working or spending time with friends and family, you can find her nose-deep in a book, playing video games or at Starbucks.
Ariana Bondi, Staff Writer
Ariana Bondi (’20), a Staff Writer for The Echo, enjoys writing, photography, fashion, swimming, lacrosse, reading, and clubs. She is excited to be on the Echo staff and enrolled in Journalism.
Sophia Dongaris, Staff Writer
Sophia Dongaris (’20) is excited to be a part of The Echo family and can’t wait to publish more of her work. She enjoys playing soccer with her team and running track. In her spare time, she also enjoys free-writing and reading. She can’t wait for people to be able to read her stories.
  • Arts & Entertainment

The 5 Best Performances from the 2018 Governor’s Ball

• The Newest Addition to the Kardashian Family: Stormi Webster

Arts & Entertainment

The R in Roseanne Stands for Racist

Arts & Entertainment

Candy Jar Goes from Sweet to Saccharine

Arts & Entertainment

13 Reasons Why: The Controversy Continues

• Arts & Entertainment

This Is America?

Arts & Entertainment

Dear Arctic Monkeys, You Can Disappear Again

Arts & Entertainment

Dirty Computer: a Futuristic Look at the Present

Arts & Entertainment

BTS Awes Audience at Billboard Music Awards

Arts & Entertainment

More Reasons to Watch Season 2

Arts & Entertainment

The Best and Worst of The Met Gala 2018