Welcome to the Team: Varsity’s New Assistant Coach

Serenity Cray, Staff Writer

Turf-filled cleats, buckets of yellow rubber balls, and late night practices mark the beginning of lacrosse season. With the new season underway, the school’s girls lacrosse team introduces a new member to its coaching staff. Coach William Cheval is the new Assistant Varsity coach for the team.

Coach Cheval has been interested in sports all throughout his life. He ran track all throughout high school and even earned a spot on Varsity Track as a freshman. Mr. Cheval graduated from The College of New Jersey and received his master’s degree from William Paterson University in Mental Health and School Counseling. 

Girl’s Varsity Lacrosse Team during the Spring 2017 Season

Currently, he works at the school as a guidance counselor while enjoying coaching on the sidelines.

With a strong background in track, Coach Cheval hopes to incorporate some of his track skills into the game of lacrosse. Mr. Cheval is brand new to the sport, and learning the ins-and-outs of the game can be quite challenging due to its annually updated rulebook. Each year the official association for the sport, US Lacrosse, updates the rules of the game to ensure safety and fix performance regulations. “I don’t know a lot about lacrosse but I’m learning. I am lucky enough to have a team of girls that know a lot about the game, and they are sort of teaching me as we go,” said Coach Cheval, when asked about his experience with lacrosse. Mr. Cheval is a coach eager to learn and is a great new addition to the team.

Coach Cheval during an indoor practice.

Coaching a team sport is far from an easy task, but Coach Cheval is ready to take on the season and all it has to offer. As the Assistant Coach, he will be creating a strategic workout plan for each practice. The fitness plan will overall improve the team’s strength, stamina, and speed. “I have a lot of fun ideas,” said Mr. Cheval, when asked about the workout plan for the season. “I would like to do more endurance runs and building up stamina for when you’re in a game.” Coach Cheval is also responsible for training both the Varsity and Junior Varsity goalies and getting them ready for the game. The Girls Lacrosse Team is set to face off against Park Ridge on March 29, 2017. Coach Cheval is excited to see the team in action and give guidance to all the players as they compete for the first time this season.

As the season starts, Coach Cheval begins his role as the Assistant Varsity Coach. The team is thrilled to see him become an important asset and add something new to the practices. Mr. Cheval is a coach eager to learn and is a great new addition to the team. It’s time to say your hellos, pick up your sticks, and get ready because lacrosse season has commenced, and Coach Cheval is ready for the ride.