#Stressless: Spring Break

YuKyeong Cheong, Staff Writer

Spring is in the air. Spring is happy. Spring brings holidays like St. Patrick’s Day and an excuse to eat chocolate: Easter. Spring also brings cherry blossoms, flowers, and warm days. Spring also brings break. Spring break, just like its name, is a week of break from school and work. It is a whole week of no homework, no school, no studying, no quizzes, and no tests. Spring break begins this coming Friday March 30th, and ends on April 6th. It also is a week of staying up the whole night under the bed covers watching a marathon of shows, also known as “binge watching.”

A week of vacation also gives opportunities to do something fun, like travel. According to a recent Echo poll, 44 percent of students were going to be traveling during the spring break. Melina Lotito (’20), said that she was going to be  practicing a family spring break tradition by visiting her grandparents’ condo in Boca Raton, Florida for the entire week, where she looks forward to relaxing by both beach and pool. Some students said that they were going to Europe and some were going to be going on a road trip.

Students are not the only ones who are getting a vacation. Staff members are also taking a break from continuous grading and teaching in class. Mr.Whitehead said that he was going to Rhode Island for a day to visit and catch up with his family and to celebrate his mother’s 85th birthday.

For those not lucky enough to be getting away to someplace exotic, Mr. Whitehead recommends catching up on reading, watching movies, going to nearby cities like New York and going to nice restaurants. Some students said that they would be playing school sports such as lacrosse.  

Fun is not the only event reserved for spring break. During this week, people will be celebrating Passover and Easter. Passover is a Jewish holiday that lasts for eight days, this year starting March 30th and ending April 7th. According to chabad, it is a holiday commemorating the emancipation of the Israelites from slavery in Ancient Egypt. It is known as Passover, since God passed over the Jewish homes when killing the Egyptian firstborn on the Passover eve. Good Friday falls on the 30th this year. It is a Christian holiday that remembers the day that Jesus was crucified for people’s sins. It one of the most important days of the year for Christians. Even though it is a sad event, it is called “good” because of the joy of Easter and the resurrection of Jesus.

Spring break brings a chance to catch up with friends and family and relax after a stressful semester. It also brings religious people together to celebrate and commemorate religious days. It is only a week long, but a stressless week will definitely make up for the stressful weeks of school.