Movie Review: The Nun

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie Review: The Nun

Elli Choi and Lindsey Jung

A satisfying mix of thrill and suspense, the recently released movie The Nun, regardless of the substantial criticism it received, was a positive theatrical experience. A monastery situated in a remote place in Romania makes the perfect setting for an electrifying horror movie. The spin-off film lives up to the expectations of fans who originally fell in love with the first movie of the series, The Conjuring. The movie continues the trend in The Conjuring‘s universe by incorporating important religious aspects and relics of the Catholic faith into its storyline.

The movie is set in 1952. The first scene reveals two nuns approaching a door that states “God ends here.” The lurking presence of the evil contained inside could be felt even from the seats of the movie theater, especially with the background music supporting the rise and fall of suspense with booming drums and grotesque harmonies. When the door opens, one of the nuns is attacked, and the other hangs herself, immediately raising questions that reach the Vatican. A certain Father Burke is sent to summon a novitiate, Sister Irene, to join him on the quest to investigate the death of the nun. They travel to Romania and meet Frenchie, a French-Canadian. He escorts them to the mysterious abbey and they experience eerie and otherworldly events on the way. It is evident that a strange, wicked force resides in the abbey; however, the origins and the nucleus of the power is still yet to be discovered.

In the effort to encourage you to watch this movie, we’ll refrain from spoiling the ending or more details of the movie. But we can tell you that watching this movie will not be a waste of money, as it personally provided a healthy resurgence of excitement and frightening stimulation for us. We recommend The Nun for those who enjoy a rush of adrenaline and an occasional jump-scare. The trailer only provides minuscule insight to the events and the story that unfolds, so make sure to watch the full movie!

• Movie Review: The Nun

Arts & Entertainment

Korean Entertainers Arrested for Multiple Offenses, Including Sharing Illegal Footage

• Movie Review: The Nun

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: “Period. End of Sentence.”

• Movie Review: The Nun

Arts & Entertainment

The Jonas Brothers Return with New Single “Sucker”

• Movie Review: The Nun

Film/Television

Riverdale and Beverly Hills, 90210 Star Luke Perry Dies at 52

• Movie Review: The Nun

Arts & Entertainment

Super Tasty Music: Summer Songs in the Dead of Winter

• Movie Review: The Nun

Arts & Entertainment

Songs For A Snowy Day

• Movie Review: The Nun

Arts & Entertainment

David Lynch’s Impact on the Fashion World

• Movie Review: The Nun

Arts & Entertainment

A Profile of Hollywood’s Newest Phenomenon: Rami Malek

• Movie Review: The Nun

Film/Television

Netflix Review: Sex Education

• Movie Review: The Nun

Arts & Entertainment

Starting the Year Off Right with BMTH’s ‘amo’

Movie Review: The Nun