Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Nicole Shaker, Editor-in-Chief

Los Angeles rapper Nipsey Hussle, formally Ermias Davidson Asghedom, was pronounced dead at around 8 p.m. on March 31 after being shot by, as of now, an unknown suspect. The shooting took place in front of Hussle’s Marathon clothing store in LA, and two other people were shot but survived. Hussle was 33 and is survived by his two children and his girlfriend, Lauren London. His death was confirmed by NBC News, who reported that he died from from the gunshot wounds. TMZ also confirmed the report and captured video footage that shows that there were several witnesses to the crime, and although the video is murky, it might confirm that the shooter was wearing a red shirt. As of now, all that is known of the suspect is that he is a black male in his 20s and that he escaped in a vehicle driven by a woman.

Hussle was a beloved rapper in his LA community, born and raised in the area and later founding his clothing store there. His first major label album, Victory Lap, had just recently come out last year and enjoyed commendable success, receiving a Grammy nomination for the Best Rap Album of 2019. Hussle’s repertoire includes ten years of independent releases, such as mixtapes Crenshaw and Mailbox Money (which he infamously sold for $100 and $1,000, respectively). Throughout his colorful career, Hussle teamed up with many successful artists, including Kendrick Lamar, Drake, YG, Ty Dolla Sign, Meek Mill, Young Thug, and The Neighbourhood.

Police have said his shooting appears to be gang-related. Ironically, Hussle had planned to meet with LAPD’s police chief on the Monday following his untimely death in order to discuss a plan preventing gang violence.

Many stars have paid tribute to the beloved artist since the shocking revelation of his death, including Rihanna, The Game, Ice Cube, Pharrell Williams, J. Cole, Chance the Rapper, Meek Mill, Drake, Stephen Curry, and Lebron James.

He will forever be remembered as both an immensely talented rapper and a genuinely good person, working to improve his community. The rapper’s last message on Twitter read: “Having strong enemies is a blessing.”

Nicole Shaker, Editor-in-Chief

Nicole Shaker ('20) is the Editor-in-Chief, alongside Evan Hecht, of The Echo. She loves to write about entertainment topics and is excited to have her...

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Mistaken Uber Ride Ends in Murder

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Brunei’s New Law Makes Gay Sex Punishable by Stoning

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Post Traumatic Stress From Mass School Shootings Takes the Lives of Victims’ Loved Ones and Survivors

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

The End of the All-Male Draft?

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Clean, Serene, and Green: Greenway Coming to Northern Valley

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Beto Your Bottom Dollar

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

New Jersey Senator Announces Presidential Bid

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Film/Television

Riverdale and Beverly Hills, 90210 Star Luke Perry Dies at 52

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

Jussie Smollett Charged with Falsifying Hate Crime

• Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33

New Jersey Will Raise Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

Nipsey Hussle Is Shot Dead At 33