Sri Lanka Bombings

A picture of a church that was blown up by the suicide bombers on Easter Sunday.
Credit to 5 Pillars News

A picture of a church that was blown up by the suicide bombers on Easter Sunday. Credit to 5 Pillars News

Melina Lotito, Social Media Editor

This year’s Easter Sunday, April 21st, a usually holy and celebratory holiday for those who recognize the day of Jesus Christ’s resurrection, brought tragedy to the coasts of Sri Lanka when hotel guests and church service attendees were assailed by nine suicide bombings carried out by the Islamic terrorist group ISIS. Three-hundred and ten people were killed in the incident and roughly 500 more were injured. The bombs targeted churches and hotels across the country. Three-hundred and ninety-five lives were taken, a group consisting of 39 foreigners and 45 children.

On Tuesday, April 23rd, NBC reported how ISIS took responsibility for the Easter Sunday bombings. The terrorist group released a video of men pledging allegiance to ISIS chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. The video showed Zahran Hashim, a Sri Lankan extremist cleric and preacher for NTJ, as the leader behind the attacks.

According to CNN, two of the nine suicide bombers have been identified as brothers Imsath Ahmed Ibrahim and Ilham Ahmed Ibrahim. They happen to be members of the wealthiest Muslim families in the capital and have connections to the country’s political and business elite. They are sons of the spice trader Mohamed Ibrahim, the founder of Colombo-based Ishana exports.

The government is still investigating the video and other alleged terrorist groups responsible for the attacks. However, despite recent attacks, Sri Lanka continues to welcome tourists. “Sri Lanka is open for business and all possible measures have been taken to ensure the safety and security of tourist,” said the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority in a Facebook post, CNN reported.

“Sri Lanka Tourism deployed trained emergency response teams and its representatives at hospitals, affected hotels and the airport to assist tourists in any way possible,” SLTDA added.

Tourism is Sri Lanka’s main industry, playing a significant role in its economy, so Sri Lanka’s government is working to continue to encourage tourism in the face of the recent terrorism.

Melina Lotito, Social Media Editor

Melina Lotito ('20), Social Media Editor, is thrilled to pursue her passion for writing in The Echo and can't wait to publish more of her stories. Other...

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Tenafly’s Very Own Pride Parade

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Teens Allegedly Drugged at Jake Paul’s Party

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Another School Shooting

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Tiger Woods’s Comeback in 2019 Masters

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Kim Kardashian West on the Path to Becoming a Lawyer

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Vietnam Veterans Visit Tenafly High School

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Boy Scouts of America Faces Charges of Abuse

• Sri Lanka Bombings

A Sandy Hook Father’s Search for the Origins of Violent Behavior

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Coach “Sutty” Sutera Inducted into Saddle Brook Wrestling Hall of Fame

• Sri Lanka Bombings

Mistaken Uber Ride Ends in Murder

Sri Lanka Bombings