Use Spotify’s Playlist in a Bottle Feature to Jump Start 2024

Jump start 2024 by sending a “musical time capsule” to your future self!
Edward Wang
Spotify’s Playlist in a Bottle Feature

With the beginning of the New Year, many Spotify listeners were eager to reflect on a year of music, primarily with Spotify Wrapped, a campaign that allows listeners to view their listening activity, favorite artists, and top songs over the year. However, listeners might not know of a relatively new feature, called Spotify’s Playlist in a Bottle, which was introduced in January of last year.

Spotify’s Playlist in a Bottle feature is similar to a time capsule, a container that holds objects from the past, in that it allows listeners to send a “musical time capsule” to themselves in the future. Users can create a musical playlist with their favorite songs at the beginning of the year. This playlist will then be “sealed” and sent back to them next year to reflect on, just like opening a time capsule.

To access it, go to spotify.com/playlistinabottle on your mobile device, or scan the QR code on the website.

User Interface for Spotify’s Playlist in a Bottle Feature

To create a new Playlist in a Bottle to open in 2025, first, select where you want to keep your playlist. Choose from a variety of options, including a bottle, a flip phone, a rice cooker, a bird’s nest, a snow globe, or even a dumpster! Next, answer a series of music-related questions such as “A song that reminds you of your favorite person,” “A song you need to hear live in 2024,” or “A song your great-grandkids will be confused about.” Spotify requires at least three songs for a playlist but you can add more songs by choosing “Keep Going.” Then, leave a note for your future self, and take one last look at your playlist. Finally, press “Lock In” to seal your playlist. You can share your Playlist In a Bottle card on your social media handles as well.

This feature offers a nostalgic and fun experience for the new year, allowing listeners to reflect on their music tastes. “I liked the feature since I find it interesting to revisit songs I liked in the past,” said JaeHa (Justin) Kim (’26). “When I revisit these songs, I’ll be interested to find some songs that I’ve continued to like for a long time, and also see how my music taste has changed.” Other students also expressed their interest in the feature. “I really liked how we could choose our design and how Spotify gave us different prompts that we could match a song to,” said Sehyun (Shannon) Lee (’26). “Just imaging opening up this bottle in 2025 and seeing what type of a person I was… a year ago is exciting.” Many others feel the same way. 

Overall, Spotify’s Playlist in a Bottle Feature is a simple, but great addition to the app. Although it doesn’t offer the same listening details as Spotify Wrapped, it gives users a more interactive experience, allowing them to choose which songs resonated with them most at the start of the year. At the time of claiming the playlist, users will be able to reflect on their musical tastes and see if they still like the same songs and artists. Since this feature only lasts until January 31, if you haven’t already, create your Playlist in a Bottle and be presented with a musical surprise in 2025!