Rockin’ Out on New Year’s Eve in Times Square

As the 2023 year came to an end, Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest was the go-to-show for many Americans celebrating New Year’s Day. If you weren’t able to catch the live broadcast, don’t worry, we’ll give you a recap of the best moments from last week’s show. This year featured popular artists such as Sabrina Carpenter and Jelly Roll. Yet, before we reveal the full lineup, you might be wondering: what is Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve?

Airing from CBS ever since 1971, Clark anchored coverage from Time Square, New York City, creating a dominant New Year’s special television show. Dick Clark hosted New Year’s Rockin ‘Eve until 2004, after Clark suffered from a stroke, giving his place to our new star, Ryan Seacrest. This gave the show the new name, Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest, which is now broadcasted by ABC and covers everyone’s favorite New Year’s Eve event, the ball drop.  

Indeed, the show was very successful, as the 2024 special reached a total of 22.2 million viewers, an increase of 30% from last year according to Variety

So, that leaves the question: who performed? One of the most prominent performances of the night was from Megan Thee Stallion singing a mash-up of her most popular songs, including her Billboard Hot 100 No.1 song “Savage.” Tyla also sang the Grammy-nominated song “Water,” during which she performed her famous dance choreography while being drenched in water. Jelly Roll sang “Wild Ones” with a guest appearance by Jessie Murph who appeared in an eye-catching, all-white, fur outfit. Sabrina Carpenter performed her viral song “Nonsense” with a specialized outro shoutout to the Times Square midnight ball drop, singing “Clark is everybody’s favorite di– type/ Make a toast to everyone you dislike/ Balls are dropping everywhere at midnight,” according to Billboard

While the show is mainly hosted in Times Square, Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest has progressed to become a worldwide sensation. In between performances, the show broadcasted segments from the Billboard Hollywood Party, where artists in Los Angeles such as Renee Rapp, Bebe Rexha, and Green Day performed on stage. South Korean pop artist New Jeans, well known for their hit songs “Hype Boy” and “ETA,” was also featured during the program’s live show from Seoul, South Korea, to touch the hearts of their international fans. 

As we said goodbye to 2023, Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest gave a great farewell to its viewers by uniting everyone through music of lots of different genres. Happy new year, and let’s keep on rockin’ with Dick Clark!