THS Turns 100!

THS Turns 100!
PxHere

If you’ve walked around inside Tenafly High School, chances are you’ve noticed the large poster in front of the school and the faculty polo shirts with the 100-years logo. This school year, students and staff members are celebrating the 100-year anniversary of Tenafly High School’s existence. It’s amazing to believe that our beloved school has been serving students for 100 years and we students are extremely excited to celebrate this historic achievement.

Tenafly High School has a wide range of accolades. Not only does THS have some of the best academics in the state, but it also has many triumphs in sports and other areas. In particular, one huge accomplishment was when both the Boys Varsity Soccer and Baseball teams won the County Championship. Along with those accomplishments, the school has had a surge of triumphs from the THS Marching Band, led by Mr. Jacobetz. This past year, the marching band made school history by winning first place at the USBands State Championships.  

To celebrate our school’s centennial, THS hosted a centennial-celebration football game on Friday, September 29. THS Tigers went head-to-head with our second-longest rivalry, the Ridgefield Park Scarlets. It was a night full of competition and excitement. During the centennial celebration, many Tenafly football alumni came out to support the current football players, as well as to be honored for their athletic service to the team at the halftime ceremony. Even a couple of former cheerleaders came to meet the current cheer squad. It’s also no surprise that many Tenafly alumni come back to support and even help out in some of these events at THS. As one of the most significant values of Tenafly is its Tiger Pride and love for THS, it’s no surprise that many alumni showed up in support of the school’s sports teams. 

Along with THS’s centennial come also the 100th anniversary since the school’s first graduated class and the centennial anniversary of the formation Boys Varsity Football team in 1924. “It’s an exciting year,” Mr. Morrison, the current principal of THS, said. “It’s an honor to be the principal of a school of this caliber. Tenafly has over 100 clubs, great music, drama, and sports programs—we have many great opportunities for kids in addition to great academics.” For Mr. Morrison, who has been working at  Tenafly for 32 years (some of them as a history teacher), his interests peak in the history of the school, and he’s thrilled that he is able to be principal for such a monumental milestone of its history. 

Many students at THS are grateful that they have the chance  to attend the school at the time of its 100th birthday. Furthermore, students  can barely contain their excitement for what comes next for Tenafly’s bright future. A hundred years down, many more to go for Tenafly High School!