New York’s Newly-Built Baseball Powerhouse

The Yankees Have What it Takes to Win Big in 2024
Juan Soto in his first ever game as a Yankee

As the 2024 MLB season swings back into full gear, the New York Yankees are standing out and are showing that they have what it takes to win big this year. They’re currently sitting on top of the league with a comfortable 13-6 record, boasting a collective 3.11 team ERA. Their season was inaugurated in Houston, playing their long-time rivals, the Astros. The Yankees swept them and won all four games, scoring twenty-one runs opposed to the Astros’ eleven. Their success isn’t just a stroke of luck either; it’s the result of a strategic off-season in which the majority of the Yankees’ weak spots were addressed. 

This past offseason included tons of huge moves, including a blockbuster deal that relocated star outfielder Juan Soto to New York. However, the most impressive deal was by far Shohei Ohtani’s signing with the LA Dodgers, with him collecting a total of $700 million throughout the next ten years. The Dodgers also signed other star players, including starting pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto, whom the Yankees had also pursued. He previously played in a Japanese league and has just transitioned into the MLB, collecting a total of $325 million over twelve years. The Dodgers are now the team to beat for the entirety of the MLB. 

Fortunately, one offseason is enough to take a team from a mediocre level to being playoff-worthy, and that summarizes the Yankees offseason perfectly. Even through tons of injuries and bad luck, the Yankees still had a fair performance last year. However, this offseason, the Yankees reached deals with pitchers Victor González, Caleb Ferguson, and most importantly, starter Marcus Stroman. Stroman has been playing impressively so far, giving up four runs throughout seventeen innings (spread throughout three games). Furthermore, the team also improved offensively, trading for star outfielder Juan Soto from the Padres. Although there is only one year remaining on his current deal, a long-term contract is definitely an option. Soto and Judge batting back-to-back is a dangerous combo;  the team needed more left-handed batters and they chose the best of them. Giancarlo Stanton is blazing hot too; he’s leading the team with five home runs. The team additionally received outfielders Alex Verdugo and Trent Grisham via trade. Another difference this year is that young players like twenty-two-year-old Anthony Volpe are finally showing their worth. He’s currently batting above .350, while Cabrera is batting .325. Lastly, pitcher Luis Gil, who is currently filling in for Gerrit Cole (60-day IL), is also looking strong. 

As it’s a fresh new season of baseball, with the help of developing prospects and big-name signings, the team looks like it’s going places. They’re currently sitting on top of the league with a spectacular 13-6 record, and even though it’s impossible to maintain their current pace, a collapse cannot happen. The roster has too much depth for something like an Aaron Judge batting slump to lose them games. 

Regardless of the circumstances, the ultimate question remains: can this team succeed in the playoffs? I believe they have the talent, resources, and confidence to do so. They started off the season with a 4-0 sweep of the Astros, a long-time playoff rival. Can they do it again in October? I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. It’s about time that everyone steps up, proudly representing the pinstripes on and off the field. And that’s what’s starting to happen.