Korean High School Students Will Be Performing Traditional Arts at Tenafly High School

National High School of Traditional Korean Arts

It’s not difficult to see Korean students roaming around the halls of THS, but on October 13th, you might notice some wearing traditional clothes and carrying intriguing musical instruments. Why? Because students from The National High School of Traditional Korean Arts will be visiting our school! They will be performing traditional Korean music, dance, and drama in the auditorium during the fifth and sixth periods.

The National High School of Traditional Korean Arts is a prestigious high school in South Korea that aims to professionally train students to inherit and develop the traditional arts with the main founding principle of ‘restoring the pride and roots of Korea.’ Founded by the greatest Korean artists of the time, the school has produced many leading artists in the traditional art field, including Kim Deok-Soo (김덕수), a master of Samulnori (사물놀이); and Oh Jeong-Hae (오정해), the main actor of a well-known Korean drama Seopyeonje (서편제). The school celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2020 and is now touring around the world to show its creativity and appreciation of Korean traditional arts. The students will visit Tenafly High School on October 13th, 2023.

Photo credit: National High School of Traditional Arts

The students from the Korean high school will be touring our school in the morning, allowing them to experience the daily life of an American student. In the afternoon — periods five and six — they will have a concert in the auditorium. They are going to perform Korean traditional music and dances, including Gayageum Byeongchang (가야금 병창: instrumental & vocal), Taepyeongmu (태평무: instrumental), Sanjo (산조: instrumental), and Samulnori (사물놀이: instrumental & dance).

“We’re looking forward to something more than just a concert,” Señora Kim, the advisor of the Korean Cultural Club, said. “My hope is that this experience will instill a sense of pride and strengthen the self-image and identity of our Korean-American students.” 

People who live in the US as immigrant children often feel conflicted when considering if they belong to the US society or their home country. One of the Korean American students residing in Tenafly, Daniel Mun, agrees. “I guess it’s kind of weird because I’m definitely a Korean, doing Korean stuff like chopsticks and whatever, but there’s some disconnection between me and Korean culture,” he said. “In America, I don’t really have many chances to meet my root culture.” 

Señora Kim reveals that she also struggled to find her identity during her formative years. Now, as an adult, she said, “I have come to the realization that being both American and Korean is a unique and valuable aspect of my identity.” Kim added, “I want to convey to our Korean-American students that they don’t have to face the same struggle I did. It’s okay to embrace both aspects of their identity wholeheartedly. I believe that understanding and appreciating our roots can profoundly impact one’s sense of belonging and acceptance, and I am dedicated to fostering that understanding within our community.”

For both Korean American and non-Korean American students, this performance offers a valuable opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of Korea. While K-pop is widespread and well-known, it is just one facet of Korean culture; Korea has fostered various forms of performing arts throughout its 5000-years-long history. The visiting high school students will showcase lesser-known Korean music and dance traditions, providing unique cultural experiences.

If you’re interested in watching the traditional Korean performance, ask your period five and six teachers. There are a limited number of seats available in the auditorium.