First Year, First Month: Insights from the Class of ‘27

wallup.net
http://wallup.net
wallup.net

As the class of 2027 entered into THS, they needed to adjust quickly to the longer classes, challenging material, and the new faces of teachers and upperclassmen. Juggling the new, unfamiliar aspects of the school year has led to many mixed emotions among the students. To look deeper into the perspective of THS freshmen, we asked the class of 2027 for some perspective on their high school experience so far.

“The only recent changes that really changed me are the phone policies and the enforcement. I find it’s not too hard to adjust because it’s really similar to middle school,” said Jacob Rim (’27). While some freshmen agree with this statement, others feel that high school is a big change from middle school. “It’s a big change, but I am trying to adjust,” said Nadav Kidron (’27). “I really like the teachers and they offer up a lot of their time to help you. One thing I don’t like is the size, since I came from New York, but overall, I really like [THS].”

Despite the classic traditions and light-hearted jokes, some freshmen enjoy being around older students. “I really like that I get to be with the older kids, yet having E days is my least favorite because we have so many periods,” said Zoe Wasserlauf (’27).

While the academic aspects remain a central focus in the transition, the high school experience also offers newfound freedom. “My favorite part about being in high school is the freedom and longer lunch periods compared to being at TMS,” said Emily Hobaichan (’27).

With a new, overwhelming amount of schoolwork, the freshmen are enthusiastic about the new extracurricular opportunities. THS offers a variety of sports teams and over ninety clubs, allowing the freshman to easily find a group of peers whom they can connect with. “I love the sports teams at THS because they are much more competitive—cheer helped me to get close to new people before the school year started,” said J’Lyn DeJesus Bermudez (’27). The freshmen have also found new opportunities off the field. “Playing the violin at THS has given me a break from classwork and tests,” said Keeran Patel (‘27).

The first month is just the beginning of the freshmen’s  four-year journey at THS, and it’s clear that the class of 2027 is ready to embrace the challenges and memories with the willingness to adapt, grow, and thrive.