Tigers Bowling Team Rolls out of an Outstanding Season

The bowling alley is filled with many noises: balls dropping from various high schoolers’ hands, pins clashing as the balls hit them, and the squeals of excitement coming from players after getting a strike. As the season comes to a close, the alleys will go quiet, and the teams will return to their respective schools, meaning it is time to reflect on the season’s successes, specifically Tenafly’s. 

When Keith Devereaux came to Tenafly this year to teach Biology, he also took over the bowling team. He had been bowling as a hobby for over a year but decided taking over the team would be the perfect opportunity to bond with students outside of a classroom setting and better the team. For many years, the bowling team was nothing more than a few matches throughout the season, but when Devereaux took it over, the program did a complete 180. Devereaux scheduled two to three games per week and offered optional weekend practices. His commitment to the team allowed for success not achieved in the past for Tenafly’s bowling program.

“I knew after our interest meeting that we would have a lot of new and inexperienced bowlers,” Devereaux said. “My goal was for the athletes to improve their games and hopefully to get them to enjoy and embrace the sport.  I think we succeeded in that regard.”

The girls finished their regular season with three wins and 11 losses, and the boys finished their season with no wins and 14 losses. Although those records are nothing near stellar, it is genuine progress from past years. 

Celebrating Sangwon Lee (’24) on senior night. Photo: Keith Devereaux

The 30 members were divided into the varsity and junior varsity levels. Whether at Montvale Lanes or Bowler City in Hackensack, the team was committed. Many of the team members joined bowling for the first time this year and hadn’t bowled competitively. Devereaux strived for personal growth from the students, and many students did achieve it. According to Devereaux, every single one of the bowlers had drastically improved since the first day of practice. 

Now that this year’s season is over, Devereaux is already planning for the next. “I would love for the scores to continue increasing,” he said.  “If we can keep focusing on that, the wins will naturally follow. I think the team was full of great young people. Many of the bowlers have bought into the culture I am trying to create on the team.”

Students were just as enthusiastic about the season’s outcome. “I am very happy I joined the team this year,” Spencer Zuckerman (’26) said. “I was not a big bowler before joining the team, but I learned a lot and was able to spend quality time with my friends.”