Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Back to Article
Back to Article

Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Hunter Neuman, Staff Writer

Before this Premier League Season started, expectations were very high for several teams. Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, and other large clubs made many new signings. The competition was expected to be fierce, and the title race to be very close. Now, we have reached matchweek 22, and Manchester City has a sizeable 15 point lead over second place Manchester United.

Manchester City, or Man City for short, has won 20 out of 22 games in the Premier League. The other two games were draws, and they remain the only unbeaten team in the Premier League. The club is located in Manchester, England and it play its home games at Etihad Stadium. In recent years, it has been a force to be reckoned with in the Premier League, but never so much as it is now.

The club has a number of star players, such as midfielders Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva. Man City has a lot of up and coming talent, such as wingers Raheem Sterling and Leroy Sane, as well as forward Gabriel Jesus. City also have a young goalkeeper, Ederson Morales, who has done very well so far.

Ederson Morales training

City’s manager, Pep Guardiola is in his second season with the club, and has been having a great stint with them. He had previously managed Bayern Munich and Barcelona, two of the world’s biggest and most successful clubs. He won several trophies with both clubs, and things look the same for City. “Pep’s system focuses on attack,” said Lawrence Lim (‘20) “It utilizes all of the squads strong players in the best way possible.”

Pep Guardiola

As the season is nearing its close, Man City is showing no signs of slowing down, winning its last two matches 3-1 and 4-1. The club last won the Premier League in 2014, and hopes to add the 2017-2018 season into its history. They’re doing so well that even people who aren’t huge soccer fans know about them. “I’m very confident that Manchester City will win the Premier League,” said Miguel Garcia (‘20). “I don’t watch much soccer, but knowing what players it has, and the wonderful manager it has, I have no doubt that they will win it.”

Overall, Manchester City is the most successful club in England, maybe even the most successful club in the world. City and Barcelona remain the only two clubs in Europe’s top five leagues to be unbeaten. With a squad that’s both talented and very young, Manchester City is a club for the future.

Hunter Neuman, Sports Editor

Hunter Neuman ('20), Sports Editor, loves playing soccer and hopes to one day become a sports journalist. He is an avid fan of the Premier League, and...

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Humor

A Grounded View of “High Fashion”

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Music

Super Tasty Music – December Edition

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Humor

How to Walk

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Arts & Entertainment

Popular Artists Make Merch to Get Out the Vote

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Humor

Why Text Messaging is the Best Way to Communicate in a Relationship

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Student Life

A New Frontier of Headphones: AirPods

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Sports

Tenafly Seniors Sign to Schools

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Tenafly Theater Averts Curtain Call

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Student Life

Gym Students Are Chirping about Crickets

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Stan Lee: The Death of a Legend

Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise