Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Hunter Neuman, Staff Writer

Before this Premier League Season started, expectations were very high for several teams. Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, and other large clubs made many new signings. The competition was expected to be fierce, and the title race to be very close. Now, we have reached matchweek 22, and Manchester City has a sizeable 15 point lead over second place Manchester United.

Manchester City, or Man City for short, has won 20 out of 22 games in the Premier League. The other two games were draws, and they remain the only unbeaten team in the Premier League. The club is located in Manchester, England and it play its home games at Etihad Stadium. In recent years, it has been a force to be reckoned with in the Premier League, but never so much as it is now.

The club has a number of star players, such as midfielders Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva. Man City has a lot of up and coming talent, such as wingers Raheem Sterling and Leroy Sane, as well as forward Gabriel Jesus. City also have a young goalkeeper, Ederson Morales, who has done very well so far.

Ederson Morales training

City’s manager, Pep Guardiola is in his second season with the club, and has been having a great stint with them. He had previously managed Bayern Munich and Barcelona, two of the world’s biggest and most successful clubs. He won several trophies with both clubs, and things look the same for City. “Pep’s system focuses on attack,” said Lawrence Lim (‘20) “It utilizes all of the squads strong players in the best way possible.”

Pep Guardiola

As the season is nearing its close, Man City is showing no signs of slowing down, winning its last two matches 3-1 and 4-1. The club last won the Premier League in 2014, and hopes to add the 2017-2018 season into its history. They’re doing so well that even people who aren’t huge soccer fans know about them. “I’m very confident that Manchester City will win the Premier League,” said Miguel Garcia (‘20). “I don’t watch much soccer, but knowing what players it has, and the wonderful manager it has, I have no doubt that they will win it.”

Overall, Manchester City is the most successful club in England, maybe even the most successful club in the world. City and Barcelona remain the only two clubs in Europe’s top five leagues to be unbeaten. With a squad that’s both talented and very young, Manchester City is a club for the future.

Hunter Neuman, Staff Writer
Hunter Neuman (‘20) loves playing soccer and hopes to one day become a sports journalist. He loves to play video games such as FIFA and Rainbow Six Siege. He is excited to be a part of The Echo, and he hopes to have a successful year writing articles.
  • Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Student Life

Tenafly Juniors Commended for Superior Writing

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Opinion

The Dangers of Political Apathy

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Arts & Entertainment

The R in Roseanne Stands for Racist

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Tenafly’s First Ever LGBTQ+ Pride Day

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Arts & Entertainment

Candy Jar Goes from Sweet to Saccharine

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Arts & Entertainment

13 Reasons Why: The Controversy Continues

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Opinion

No Support For Real Victims: This Is America

• Arts & Entertainment

This Is America?

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Student Life

Will You Choose to Ride the Wave or the Current?

• Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise

Opinion

The American Scholar vs. The American Student

Manchester City’s Meteoric Rise