Tenafly’s Very Own Pride Parade

Nicole Shaker, Editor-in-Chief

Tenafly will be hosting its second annual Pride Festival on June 8th. The parade will start on George Street and proceed through town to Huyler Park, with an expected step off at 9:30 for the arrival to the park at 10:00. Although you don’t have to attend the entire walk, it would be nice to represent your support for Tenafly’s growing LGBTQ+ community by attending.

This year is of particular celebration because of the passing of the Senate Bill S1569, Assembly Bill A1335 in Trenton, which now requires an LGBTQ+ curriculum in schools, so this parade is expected to be bigger and better than last year’s. As Tenafly recognizes its LGBTQ+ residents and friends for the second year, the community is continuing its commitment to inclusiveness for all and welcomes all neighboring towns and Bergen County residents to join in the festivities.

The parade will include local and county speakers, including Mr. Nick Rzonsa, a staff member of Tenafly Middle School. Prior to the parade, a rainbow flag raising will be taking place in the park on June 5 at 3:30 so that middle and high school students can participate along with their student G/S advisors.

This event is the product of donations and sponsorship, so if anyone wishes to help fund the event further in order to make it the best it can be, contact [email protected]. The organizer of the event, Natalie Kavanaugh, is also happy to speak with anyone who has any suggestions or wishes to volunteer. She can be reached at 917-881-2852.

Our community is extremely proud of the diversity of its residents. Come show your love! We’ll see you there.