Adam Johnson Dies in ‘Freak Accident’: What Does This Mean for Future Ice Hockey Safety?

Photo taken from the American Hockey League

On Saturday, October 28, 29-year-old hockey player Adam Johnson tragically died in an accident on the ice at a game in the UK. Johnson was a forward for the Panthers in the Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) but previously played for the Penguins in the National Hockey League (NHL). During the game, Johnson collided with another player mid-ice during the second period against the Steelers. In video footage, the injury can be seen from a skate blade to Johnson’s neck. After blood poured mid-ice, he tried to make his way to the bench but was stopped by players and officials who called for assistance. He was bleeding out and needed to be transported to Sheffield’s Northern General Hospital. Fans and viewers of the game were instructed to leave in response to the “major medical emergency” in order to get Johnson the best care possible. Unfortunately, the Panthers announced Johnson’s death the next morning, giving his family some time before making the news public.

Johnson was the second-leading scorer for the AHL during his time on the Pittsburgh Penguins. When the COVID-19 pandemic started in 2020, Johnson signed abroad with the Swedish Hockey League, before joining the Panthers. He was extremely successful, only 29 years old, and engaged to Ryan Wolfe. Wolfe posted on her Instagram story on Monday to express her thoughts. She wrote, “My sweet sweet angel. I’ll miss you forever and love you always.” The EIHL also wrote that it is “heartbroken to confirm that Nottingham Panthers forward Adam Johnson sadly passed away following a freak accident in Saturday’s game between Sheffield Steelers and Nottingham Panthers.” The Penguins Organization also posted that it “join[s] the entire hockey world in mourning the loss of Adam Johnson, whose life tragically ended far too soon.”

Many other leagues and teams worldwide issued statements regarding Johnson’s death and their condolences to his loved ones. There were also many pre-game ceremonies held in his honor in the days following. A fundraising campaign was also started to raise money for Johnson’s family. The campaign surpassed its initial goal of $5,000 within a few hours and reached $10,000 by the end of the day. Fans, players, and loved ones also crowded outside the home arena for the Panthers in order to remember, share memories, and lay flowers for Johnson.

The main question asked by many viewers, fans, and hockey officials is what Johnson’s accident will mean and entail for future ice hockey safety protocols. Following his death, the EIHL introduced a neck guard mandate, which will begin in 2024 and apply to all hockey levels in England and Wales. In addition, the EIHL will conduct a review to consider other aspects of safety equipment, such as helmets, mouthguards, padding, and other methods of facial protection. They wrote in a statement that “”It is unacceptable for any player to lose their life while playing sport… the EIHA is committed to taking an active and constructive role in this comprehensive process.” The NHL deputy commissioner has also been in touch about recommending players wear neck guards and take action based on this past weekend’s events.

While what happened to Adam Johnson is extremely tragic and upsetting for fans, loved ones, and hockey viewers around the world, it will hopefully shine light on safety protocols and increase protective equipment mandates.