Brother and Sister First Duo to Become Chess Grandmasters

During free moments in class or during lunch, many high schoolers enjoy playing chess on Chess.com or other websites as a fun pastime. The game is intense in strategy, requiring concentration of thinking multiple steps ahead. This captivating game allows players to zone out of the world, with each game constantly being different from the last. However, two siblings made it their goal to get the grandmaster title, and brought their game of chess to another level. You may have heard the title of “grandmaster” from The Queen’s Gambit, but what does it really mean? According to Chess.com, the title of grandmaster is awarded by the Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE) and is the highest position a chess player can earn. To achieve this title, the player must reach a rating of 2500 and win three grandmaster norms in international competitions. 

Praggnanandhaa Rameshbabu and Vaishali Rameshbabu are the first brother and sister duo to both win this prestigious title, and their feat has excited the chess world. Praggnanandhaa won the grandmaster title when he was only 12, being one of the youngest players in history. However, according to CNN, his 22-year-old sister Vaishali recently won this title on December 2, 2023, becoming the third woman in India to earn this title after Koneru Humpy and Harika Dronavalli.

According to CNN, “becoming a [grandmaster] has been [Vaishali’s] goal since she started playing chess.” While her brother told FIDE that he “felt long back that she has GM strength for a long time already,” her path to success was not easy. Vaishali was first introduced to chess by her father, Rameshbabu, an enthusiastic chess player who recognized her potential at a young age. Starting coaching at the age of five, Vaishali quickly progressed, securing victories in numerous state and national-level tournaments within her age category. To further advance her and her brother’s skills, both Vaishali and Praggnanandhaa received training under the guidance of Grandmaster RB Ramesh at Chennai’s Bloom Chess Academy. While they had already acquired the fundamental knowledge of the game at the academy, training under Grandmaster Ramesh refined their strategic understanding and helped them navigate the complexities of the chessboard’s intricate paths.

Although it ultimately took Vaishali over 17 years to progress from an international master to achieve the grandmaster title, Vaishali’s determination and potential hint at her capability to make history in the realm of chess. Despite facing challenges and friendly competition from one another, both siblings have showcased exceptional talent and dedication to the game. Together, they represent a unique and talented pair, each equipped with their own strengths and accomplishments in the chess world.