Lynn Yamada Davis, Famous TikTok Chef, Dies at 67

Lynn Yamada Davis, who was known for being the internet’s culinary grandmother, died from esophageal cancer on Jan. 1 in Red Bank, New Jersey. She was 67.

Davis was born on July 31, 1956, in the vibrant heart of New York City. She recently captivated the world with her unparalleled cooking that was showcased in her acclaimed TikTok account, “Cooking With Lynja.” 

Since launching her account in 2020, her videos have entertained millions of people and helped her gain over 17 million followers. Known for her loving personality, Davis’s “Cooking With Lynja” videos not only offered simple and delicious recipes to her followers but also provided a unique sense of entertainment that kept her audience coming back for more. The response she received on social media proves how influential and significant Lynn Yamada Davis was to many.

Davis began her culinary journey at a young age, absorbing techniques from her mother’s Japanese cooking. According to The New York Times, despite not pursuing a formal culinary education, she became a food enthusiast and even self-taught herself as a “cook, not a chef.” She developed a loyal following on social media with her humorous and engaging personality, which was greatly reflected in her innovative recipes. In 2020, Davis created her TikTok account, “Cooking With Lynja,” with her son as a way to spend quality time with him and keep herself busy, which eventually resulted in viral success. In 2022, Forbes listed her in its “50 Over 50” list, which recognizes successful women over 50 years old. Two of her most prestigious awards were the two distinguished Streamy Awards, recognizing her exceptional contributions in both the editing and the culinary realm. 

Her contribution to the cooking community and influence on social media has been immeasurable, and her legacy will continue to echo through her videos. Her unique style of cooking inspired countless home cooks and challenged traditional culinary boundaries. According to Wikipedia, she pushed her boundaries in cooking when she made the Guinness World Record for the world’s largest chicken nugget, sushi roll, and a cake pop. She cemented an indelible place in the history of culinary invention, inspiring future generations with her cooking and personality.

Tim Davis, one of her two sons, expresses his gratitude for his mother’s work. Ever since he began editing TikTok videos with his mother, he was able to create a mother-and-son bond that wasn’t there before. According to The New York Times, Sean Davis, her other son who currently plays soccer for the Nashville Soccer Club, believed that she was someone extraordinary and not just an ordinary grandma. “She was my first coach,” Sean Davis said. She always wanted to live her life to the fullest and expressed her liveliness through cooking. “I just think her final chapter was exactly how she would have wanted it to be written.” 

Despite her passing, her videos will live on, inspiring millions of home cooks worldwide. Sean Davis announced her death formerly earlier this week on all social media platforms to make it final. Her son continues to send out edited videos of her even after her passing in the hope that she will be able to inspire more people even after her death. She may have left the world, but her memory and contribution to the culinary world will remain forever. Her passing is a reminder to cherish every moment and create something positive that can make a significant impact, just like Davis did with her life.