Migrant Pickpocket Thieves Assault New York Police Officers in Times Square

Oto Godfrey

On Saturday, January 27, under the neon glow of Times Square’s billboards, a scene of chaos unfolded as NYPD officers, responding to reports of migrant pickpocketing, were violently attacked by the very suspects they were investigating. With backup, the officers subdued and arrested the individuals. But, in a contentious turn, the migrants were released from jail in less than five days, igniting citywide controversy and vigilante justice. 

The current administration’s failure to crack down on illegal immigrants entering the US has led to an escalation in pickpocket incidents. The NYPD has observed a notable surge in pickpocket crimes across the city, ever since President Biden allowed more and more immigrants into the country. The NY Daily Post reported that “More than 100,000 migrants came to the city last year alone.” And according to CBS News, pickpocketing victims reached a total of 2,200, showing an increase from just below 2,000 the previous year. “We have a hard enough time going after actual New Yorkers committing crime,” said a New York police officer to the New York Post, “Now we have to deal with a whole different subset of people who arrive here with no means of support, no legal means of working or opportunity.” 

Just over a week ago, a gang of migrant pickpocketers in Times Square stole from bystanders, but it wasn’t like any other pickpocketing incidents that have been mentioned on the news. This time the pickpocketers assaulted an NYPD officer and lieutenant just after they were told to disperse. Soon after other officers arrived at the scene, the group was arrested. 

Thirteen people were said to have taken part in the attack last weekend, but only five were originally arrested. “The NYPD identified the suspects as Darwin Andres Gomez Izquiel, 19, Kelvin Servat Arocha, 19, Wilson Juarez, 21, Yorman Reveron, 24 — who has two pending cases in Manhattan for assault and robbery — and Jhoan Boada, 22, who is listed as homeless and an illegal immigrant,”Fox News reported. “On Thursday, two more migrants were arrested — Yohenry Brito, 24, and Jandry Barros, 21—in connection with the attack.” Brito is the only suspect currently detained, at Rikers Island. More recently, According to CBS, four suspects that were involved in the attack fled to Arizona, but were arrested in Phoenix on Monday and transported to the custody of ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations to be administered for immigration violations. 

Gangs of migrants have started to form as a result of  police pointing out the crimes the mirgants have individually committed. Forming gangs has given the migrants more confidence to resist and continue with their wrongdoings. Curtis Sliwa, leader of the Guardian Angels, labeled the group of migrants as “untouchables” when they were arrested but then instantly cut loose. Sliwa claimed that cutting the migrants loose will give ideas to others to start pickpocketing now that there are no consequences to these actions. 

“I’m here with the Guardian Angels, and we’re saying ‘Enough of this,” Sliwa said. “If the government isn’t going to do it in Washington, and the mayor in New York City is not going to deal with these illegal aliens who form gangs, then we, the Guardian Angels, will deal with them. Americans must stand up to this madness.”