Caitlin Clark Becomes NCAA Division One Leading Scorer

On March 3, Caitlin Clark surpassed Pete Maravich’s 3,667 points for the NCAA Division One leading scorer record only two weeks after surpassing Kelsey Plum’s 3,527 points for the record of women’s basketball leading scorer. Clark, a rising star and national phenom, has been taking the nation by storm as she continues to break various records and accomplish unbelievable feats in not only women’s, but all collegiate basketball. 

The Iowa senior broke the record against Ohio State in her team’s last regular season game with a striking 35 points. However impressive it is for most, 35 points is normal for Clark as she averages a remarkable 32.3 points per game.

Clark has become one of the most influential collegiate basketball players of all time. Her influence has led to an astonishing 150% increase of attendance and sellouts on road games. 

Not only is Clark a generational scorer, but she is a fantastic facilitator as well. She averages 8.7 assists per game and her 1,058 career assists rank sixth-all time in women’s Division One college basketball.

Clark was born and raised in Iowa and, although she received offers from many other schools to play basketball, Clark decided to play for her home state. Now, Clark is a hometown hero and in her fourth and final season playing college basketball, she led Iowa to their third consecutive Big 10 championship.

Clark’s fantastic game has contributed to her becoming a sports icon and a major influence for the game of basketball. However, not only is she known for her game, but for her personality as well. Clark is seen with a smile on her face while competing, and is extremely humble when asked questions about her accomplishments.

Although Clark has already surpassed many of the records and barriers set before, there is still much more for her to accomplish. With the upcoming March Madness tournament, Clark hopes to top off her collegiate career with a national championship. Tune into Iowa Women’s Basketball games during this March Madness tournament to see Caitlin Clark in action.