Akira Toriyama, Creator of Dragon Ball Z, Dies at 68

Akira Toriyama, the legendary creator of the Dragon Ball series, whose visionary work dramatically transformed the landscape of manga and animation, died on March 1 in Tokyo due to a blood clot in his brain. He was 68. His funeral will be held privately by his family. 

As the author and artist behind the Dragon Ball series, Toriyama crafted a world that continues to hold the awe and admiration of countless teens and adults globally. He brought into existence one of the most famous anime characters in the world: Son Goku, an extraterrestrial alien boy with a monkey tail who embarks on a quest to find the seven magic dragon balls. As stated by NBC News, the idea for the story was greatly inspired by the classical Chinese novel, Journey to the West. As beloved Dragon Ball Z was, the death of the Toriyama caused a ripple of grief to not just his fans, but also his fellow manga creators. 

A picture of young Akira Toriyama.

The ripple effect of Toriyama’s pioneering spirit has been felt far and wide throughout the manga and anime industry, catalyzing a multitude of creators who found inspiration in his groundbreaking work. According to CNN, the Dragon Ball series was first aired in 1984 and came to an end in 1996. However, the reruns of the show on television worldwide caused it to take up more than $24.031 billion in revenue. What started as a small anime series that he made for a small show ended up being a smash hit not only with people in Japan but all over the world. His legacy is engraved in the foundation of modern manga, where the echoes of his influence are evident in the wide spectrum of works that strive to emulate the wonder and depth that the Dragon Ball series so effortlessly delivered.

The manga community reels in loss with the passing of Akira Toriyama. According to CNN,  Yuji Horii, Toriyama’s friend and collaborator in creating the iconic game Dragon Quest mourned the death of his best friend on X with a post that read, “I can’t believe he’s gone.” However, Horii is not the only one grieving Toriyama. Eiichiro Oda, another titan in the manga world as the creator of  “One Piece, paid his respects to Toriyama on X. “I’ve admired you so much since I was a child, and I even remember when you called me by name for the first time,” Oda said. “The excitement and excitement he experienced when he serialized Dragon Ball is probably rooted in the childhoods of creators who are active in all industries, not just manga artists.”

Toriyama’s work elevated the manga and anime genres, blending fantastical elements with relatable characters that captivated the imaginations of countless individuals. His contributions to the manga and anime industry will forever be cherished for the landscape of entertainment. The indomitable spirit of Dragon Ball, a testament to Toriyama’s genius, will continue to thrum in the veins of culture and media. His memory will live on through the enduring legacy of Dragon Ball and the hearts of those touched by his work, ensuring that his extraordinary contributions will never be forgotten.