March Madness Finale: The 2024 National Champions

rawpixel.com / Markus Spiske

This year’s March Madness tournament was surely one for the books as history was made and expectations were exceeded. The month-long series of collegiate basketball games, both men’s and women’s, ended with only one winner each for whom took the title and victory back to their home grounds. The women of The University of South Carolina and the men of The University of Connecticut topped off their seasons with the biggest win the teams could hope for, and they both executed the achievement with incredible regular season results as well.

Women’s March Madness Champions:

Women’s college basketball experienced a major breakthrough season as its viewership and attendance skyrocketed. The South Carolina Gamecocks became a national limelight as they not only ended their 2023-24 season with a championship title but also, a one of a kind undefeated season with 38 wins and zero losses. South Carolina has been a collegiate powerhouse for years holding three national titles. However, after being a fan favorite to win it all last year, South Carolina fell short in the final four to phenom Caitlin Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes. After that crushing defeat in the 2022-23 season, the Gamecocks began their revenge tour and took down the Hawkeyes in this year’s championship game. This season’s coveted championship competition between Iowa and South Carolina was the most viewed basketball game in five years at all levels with an average viewership of 18.7 million people and a high of 24 million viewers. 

Men’s March Madness Champions:

The University of Connecticut Huskies topped the 2023-24 season with back to back championship titles after defeating Zach Edey and the talented Purdue team in the March Madness finale. Coach Dan Hurley led the Huskies to a  37-3 record as well as piloting the team to double digits wins against all competition in the March Madness tournament. Although a fulfilling win for the Huskies, the team’s victory wasn’t a shock as they were the nation’s top pick to win it all. More than a quarter of the brackets submitted to the “Men’s Bracket Challenge Game” for this year chose the Huskies as the 2024 champion, the next highest amounting to only ten percent. 

Although this year’s tournament hype is slowly calming down, the legacy and impact these players left will forever stand.