Sickness Strikes Tenafly: Ways to Get Through the Flu

A sickness has swept across Tenafly and the nation, in the form of the flu. Many kids and even adults have been affected by this strain of influenza—the H1N12 virus. According to a state study, conducted by the New Jersey Department of Health, New Jersey is in a high-activity level for the virus. This strain has been contracted by countless students and teachers. After this strain of flu develops, one may be out of school for as short as two days to as long as a week, causing students and staff to miss days of education.

The CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) states that the flu vaccine this year is only 30% effective against the strain going around Bergen County. The CDC recommends to not use the nasal spray flu vaccine and instead opt for the shot. The school’s nurse, Mrs. Cassiello suggests getting your flu shot. “Even though the shot does not cover this particular strain, it will lessen the severity of it,” she said. The flu shot is not taken to treat the flu itself but to prevent it and lessen the symptoms if contracted.

New Jersey is a high area in which the virus is spreading

Not taking the flu shot is a dangerous move to make during the high-flu season. Many students fell ill in recent months, which can be explained by a recent Echo poll where 53% of voters confessed to not getting the flu shot. Even though taking the flu shot does not guarantee a person will not contract the virus, it will make the experience less severe if one does contract it. Student Evan Hecht (’19) recently suffered from this very strain of the flu. “I got my flu shot this year, as I do every year, and unfortunately I still contracted the flu,” he said. “I got it from a family member after my cousin’s bar-mitzvah, as did a large number of my extended family. It’s really draining. It’s like a cold but amplified by a million, you just feel completely awful.”

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Tenafly is just one of the many towns that are suffering from the invasion of the flu. The flu is not only impacting Tenafly but countries all around the world. Olympians from all over are arriving in South Korea during their flu season, putting every competitor at risk. Hong Kong schools have been shutting down in response to the flu outbreak. So far, 63 kids in the U.S. have died from the illness. This is fortunately not the case for Tenafly, but there are many more precautions that can be taken in order to protect against the flu.

The recent drop in temperature in our area has contributed to the spread of the H1N12 and other strains of the flu. Cold weather, along with fluctuating temperatures are contributing factors that lower the strength of the immune system, making it easier for one to contract the flu. “Flu season usually ends in April but the weather may push it to May,” Mrs. Cassiello said. This data encourages people to get their flu shot and brace themselves against the coming waves of sickness. In addition, make sure to obtain a lengthy amount of sleep every night to keep your immune system high to fight against illness.

A graph that shows the number of people diagnosed with influenza

The best way to protect yourself from the flu, aside from an administered flu shot, is to take action to prevent the sharing of germs. According to the CDC, staying away from sick people, constantly washing your hands, and cleaning germ-filled surfaces are just a couple of ways to defend yourself against the influenza virus. “When I was diagnosed, my doctor prescribed me Tamiflu. It helped shorten the length of the flu for me, it’s really helpful,” said Hecht. “Also the more you sleep the quicker the recovery, as cliche that sounds it really works plus sleep is amazing in general.”

Till next year, stay safe, wash your hands, be sanitary, and make sure to get your flu shot at a local pharmacy!