Tenafly High School Students Receive National Hispanic Recognition

Pablo Estua-Carrillo (’25), Lucia Martinez-Pelaez (’25), and Liam Tenenbaum (’25) (From left to right)

The CollegeBoard’s National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP) is a prestigious award celebrating the academic achievements of Hispanic and Latino high school students across the country. In addition to recognizing their grades, the award speaks volumes about a student’s commitment to their education while also highlighting the rich heritage and cultural significance of their Hispanic backgrounds. According to CollegeBoard, students need to perform highly on the “PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 10, or AP Exams [to] be considered for awards.” Tenafly High School is proud to have three of its own—Pablo Estua-Carrillo (’25), Lucia Martinez-Pelaez (’25), and Liam Tenenbaum (’25)—honored with this distinction this year.

Estua-Carrillo views this acknowledgment as “a highlight to all the work I’ve done in and out of school.” Rooted deeply in his Hispanic and Latino backgrounds, he maintains family ties in Mexico, frequently traveling to the country and immersing himself in the culture. This foundation has gifted him with trilingual proficiency and a richness in understanding that extends to his future goals: “After high school, I plan to attend a university, possibly take a gap year to explore, and continue speaking Spanish wherever I possibly can.”

On the other hand, Martinez-Pelaez has a mixed sentiment about the award, expressing gratitude but a certain skepticism about College Board’s intentions. Yet, her Hispanic identity resonates deeply within her, allowing her to form an appreciation for life’s moments and the joys of culture, whether it is through food, music, or simple laughter. “Being Hispanic in my mind is being extroverted, loud, hardworking, and knowing how to enjoy life,” Lucia noted, with aspirations of studying abroad and maintaining her connection with the language and culture.

Tenenbaum’s journey is a testament to the American dream. He and his brother are the first in his family to attend high school in the U.S. His parents’ lineage ties back to Argentina, where his Jewish ancestors found refuge from European persecution. He fondly recalls “speaking Spanish with my grandma, watching soccer games, and savoring Argentinian cuisine.” Tenenbaum emphasized the importance of diversity, urging underclassmen to “represent your culture wherever you might find yourself.”

While the three recipients share their special stories, the common thread is their Hispanic background, which has largely influenced who they are. Tenafly High School and its community look forward to witnessing all they will achieve.