The Year of the Dragon Spices Up 2024 

Photo by Slides Carnival

Students and staff always find weird similes to compare THS to things. Teachers may compare it to  a garden of knowledge that tends and nurtures the growing minds of students. On the other hand, students envision high school as a jail with the colored lanyards resembling a convict’s handcuffs and teachers being guards. Yet, the most accurate way to describe THS is the animal kingdom. Through the lens of the Chinese zodiac, Tenafly High School’s student body is composed of roosters, dogs, pigs, rats, and oxen. As we ring into the new year, we hop out of the Year of the Rabbit and jump into a year that entails a little more heat: the Year of the Dragon. 

The Chinese zodiac is deeply rooted in Chinese culture and has spread into the American sphere. According to the University of Washington, the 12 animals that make up the Chinese zodiac first appeared in the fifth century B.C, or the Zhan Guo period. However, the zodiac was only recognized during the Han Dynasty many years later. This system is used similarly to the lunar calendar to give people a way to count the time passed. Each animal symbolizes a year in the 12-year-long cycle as well as smaller increments of time. The Chinese zodiac is also linked to five elements: fire, wood, water, metal, and earth. All the different animals have their own stories and qualities that make them unique, as people are thought to inherit the traits of their Chinese zodiac. Therefore, many Chinese mothers would plan their pregnancies in order for their newborn to be gifted a certain set of qualities. Despite it being the New Year, the Chinese zodiac changes along with Lunar New Year, making February 10 the true beginning of the Year of the Dragon. It isn’t too early, though, to start warming up to what the Dragon might grant the world in 2024. 

The Dragon stands out from its eleven counterparts for several reasons, one being that the Dragon is the only mythical creature present in the Chinese zodiac. The Dragon is sought to be a symbol of strength, which is fitting to its ferocious appearance. Additionally, the creature is said to convey messages of bravery, courage, good fortune, and power. Those born in the Year of the Dragon are said to be natural leaders with strong ambitions and charismatic personas. Some infamous CEOs born in the Year of the Dragon includeMicrosoft co-founder Paul Allen and Intel co-founder Gordon Moore. However, don’t let the commanding personality of the Dragons fool you, as people born in this year are also thought to be hot-headed, aggressive, and arrogant. Other famous Dragons include Rihanna, Charles Darwin, John Lennon, and Bruce Lee. Still, their flaming character isn’t too overbearing for everyone—people born in the Year of the Rat and the Year of the Monkey are said to be romantically compatible with Dragons. 

The Year of the Dragon has an effect on every animal, but to make this more meaningful to THS, here is how 2024 will affect each grade, according to The Times of India. Without taking into account possible outliers, THS’s students are born in the following years: the Year of the Roosters, the Year of the Dog, the Year of the Pig, the Year of the Rat, and the Year of the Ox. 

Starting off with the seniors, who were born in 2005—the Roosters—you may experience a boost in your overall confidence as the power of the Dragon washes over you. Cluck into 2024 ready to take a risk or two because your energy will be up and there will be an increase in your professional drive. 

Students born in 2006, maybe it’s time to retitle your new calendar to “Dog Days.” Because of the Dog’s loyal and cautious nature,  you may not vibe with the spice that comes along with the Dragon. Don’t let impending hesitations and anxieties get in the way, as with college decisions coming up, 2024 is an important year for you all.. 

The Year of the Pig will enjoy a period of growth and innovation as opportunities seem to be more abundant than ever. Pigs can squeal in excitement as this year entails possibly new love, meaning juniors and 2007 teens might have an extra in to prom this year. 

Rats won’t be viewed as pesky rodents in 2024, as the Year of the Dragon will be prosperous for those born in 2008. Success is creeping closer and closer for all Rats. 

Finally, those born in 2009, otherwise known as the Oxen may face some conflict. Don’t worry, though—if you were able to survive starting high school, you will be able to persevere through this year. The Year of the Ox is said to explore new terrains so mark your calendars for possible travel plans. 

THS is a zoo of its own, with each student embodying the Chinese zodiac. Don’t just assume your 2024 will go up in flames because of the Year of the Dragon. Instead, think of the possibilities that could spark this year. As the Chinese zodiac dictates the fate of this new year, we can start the year fresh keeping in mind our zodiacs in relation to the Dragon.