THS Tiger Tots Embark on Reading Journey with Read Across America Day

Close your eyes and think about elementary school. Whether you went to one of the four schools in Tenafly or somewhere else, elementary schools all have a similar atmosphere: five-year-old children with sticky fingers running around while one kid cries in the back of the classroom with a crayon shoved up his nose. Elementary school was a place filled with colors and chaos. Weirdly one thing besides candy gets the kids to listen: storytime. Such a crucial part of kindergarten education is kids finally learning how to read and expanding their imaginations as books open new doors. Last week, THS’s very own Tiger Tots took part in Read Across America day as Tenafly High students read to them various books by Dr. Seuss. 

Despite being a controversial figure, Dr. Seuss is core to elementary education. The whimsy of books like Horton Hears a Who or the fun rhyme schemes inside Green Eggs and Ham keep kids entertained while teaching valuable lessons about literacy. According to Wordsrated, Dr. Seuss is the number one children’s book author and has sold more than 700 million copies globally. On March 1st, Tiger tots crowded into the top floor of the THS library ready to read and learn. “The significance of Read Across America is to encourage kids to develop a love of reading at a young age and develop a new sense of creativity,” said Tiger Tot teacher Ms. Chanel Carela. Ms. Carela added to the fun of the event by bringing cute Cat in the Hat headbands that each of the tots were able to wear. Mrs. Alicia Sedlock started this event in 2018 and has expanded it every year. As an English teacher, Mrs. Sedlock has a strong appreciation for Seuss’s works and wanted to find a way to make her students collaborate with the Tiger Tots. 

The Tiger Tots were full of energy and excitement when they saw the numerous high school students in front of them holding different copies of Seuss books. The Tiger Tots split into groups as the respective high school student and staff led the storytime. It was evident how excited the little kids were to see older teenagers reading to them. As one’s eyes spanned the room, you could see all the Tots smiling and being fully engaged in the stories they were being told. However, the fun didn’t stop there. Mrs. Sedlock explained that there was much more in store for the Tiger Tots. This year, the teachers set up different stations for the Tots to visit that were all connected to the theme of Dr. Seuss. From learning about math with One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish to coloring in characters like the Lorax or the Grinch, the staff found ways to catch the kids’ attention. Many found it very impressive and creative how Mrs. Sedlock and Mrs. Caglar were able to make this day very interactive for the Tiger Tots and constantly stimulating their minds.

Photo from Selah’s Phone

Having high school students read to younger children holds great value beyond the surface level of the Tots having a good time. When the teenagers sit down with the tots, a big-sibling relationship begins to form, which is instrumental in the development of younger children. The high school students encourage the Tots to focus more on reading, as the younger Tots are eagerly anticipating the time they get to spend with  older mentors. The Tiger Tots view the high school students as role models and look up to them. Not only was this event impactful for the Tiger Tots, but it was also meaningful to the THS student body as well. “A lot of [the students] are really quiet and I see them break out of their shells when we do this event,” said Mrs. Sedlock. This proves that the event’s role is not just in promoting literacy among the Tots, but also in aiding the personal development of the teenagers. By reading to the Tots, the high school students build their leadership skills, improve their communication abilities, and experience the fulfillment that comes from spending time with their younger counterparts. 

Read Across America day is able to create valuable  lessons for both the high school students and the Tots. The mix of Dr. Seuss’s imaginary stories with the enthusiastic participation of THS students reinforces the importance of reading from an early age; additionally, it fosters a unique bond between the young Tiger Tots and their older peers. This event transformed the simple act of reading for those children, embedding a lifelong love for books and reading, while simultaneously offering high school students opportunities for growth. Moments like these reveal storytelling’s ability to inspire and connect all, making Read Across America day a cherished tradition across the nation.